Netflix film Pieces of A Woman is a ‘heart-wrenching’ story of a home birth tragedy

People are saying it’s a must-watch and calling for Vanessa Kirby to win an Oscar

Netflix film Pieces of a Woman may have been released in the first full week of January, but it has already been backed as one of the stand out movies of the year.

The film features The Crown star Vanessa Kirby and Hollywood actor Shia LeBeouf as a couple expecting a baby. Shia LeBeouf is currently subject of of-screen controversy, which led to Netflix taking him out of promotional material for the film amid a lawsuit. 

Here’s everything you need to know about the plot of the movie, and what early reviews are saying.

Pieces Of A Woman, review, about, synopsis, plot, Netflix, Twitter, Rotten Tomatoes, critic

via Netflix

Pieces of a Woman is about a family tragedy after a home birth

Pieces of a Woman stars Vanessa Kirby and Shia LaBeouf as a cool married couple, living in a light townhouse. The first half an hour of the film depicts their home birth tragedy in detail, whilst the rest of the film is about the couple’s separate responses to grief and what has happened to them. Vanessa’s character Martha seems to have a numbed response to it all, which has implications on their marriage.

The Netflix synopsis reads: “A heartbreaking home birth leaves a woman grappling with the profound emotional fallout, isolated from her partner and family by a chasm of grief.”

The film is loosely based on the real life story of the film’s director Kornel Mundruczo and writer Kata Weber who are a couple and lost a baby.

via Netflix

Reviews of Pieces of a Woman have called it ‘brutal’ and ‘gruelling’ but also ‘compelling’, ‘breathtaking’ and the film of 2021

CNN called the film “raw”, “provocative” and the “most memorable as a breakout showcase for Kirby”. The site’s review added that heartbreaking scenes are shown in “brutal” and “gruelling detail”. Empire adds: “Vanessa Kirby and Shia LaBeouf put in career-best performances in this crisp, fluent take on unimaginable trauma.” The Times calls for Vanessa Kirby to be crowned with an Oscar.

Viewers on Twitter have also called the film “breathtaking”, “gut-wrenching” and are highly recommending everyone to watch. The cast has been called “phenomenal” and people are rating it five stars.

Watch the trailer for Pieces of a Woman on Netflix here:

Pieces of a Woman is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.