Netflix’s latest true crime is about one of the most notorious killers in US history

The ‘Night Stalker’ committed his crimes as people slept

A new true crime series is coming to Netflix, this time based around the infamous crimes of the “Night Stalker” – who soon become one of the most prolific serial killers in US history.

At the time, Richard Ramirez was 24 when he terrorised the streets of Los Angeles and San Francisco for just over a year before he was hunted down. The four-part series about his crimes and capture comes to Netflix this month – here’s what you need to know ahead of its release.

Night Stalker, The Hunt For A Serial Killer, Netflix, true crime, case, story, about, trailer, synopsis, release date, killer, Richard Ramirez

via Netflix

Night Stalker: The Hunt For A Serial Killer is about Richard Ramirez, one of the most notorious killers in US history

The Netflix limited docuseries Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer tells the true story of Richard Ramirez and how he was hunted down and brought to justice. Ramirez carried out a series of brutal, violent crimes in San Francisco and Los Angeles in 1984 and 1985.

In the summer of 1985, a record-breaking heatwave hit Los Angeles, along with a series of murders and sexual assaults that at first seemed disconnected. The victims were men, women, and children and they ranged in age from six to 82. As well as this, they came from different neighbourhoods and racial backgrounds, and were all different types of social status.

via Netflix

Never before in criminal history had a single killer been responsible for such a grisly array of crimes. The media was all over the case and horror and panic struck the area. The killer was dubbed the “Night Stalker” as most of the crimes took place as victims slept. Richard Ramirez was given 19 life sentences for 13 counts of murder, five counts of attempted murder, 11 counts of sexual assault and 14 counts of burglary.

The four-part series tells the story of the case through harrowing first-person interviews, archival footage and original photography.

Watch the trailer for Night Stalker: The Hunt For A Serial Killer on Netflix here:

Night Stalker: The Hunt For A Serial Killer will be available on Netflix from January 13th. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.