From Kylie Jenner to Ronaldo: These are the 10 most liked Instagram photos of 2020

Why does the world record egg still exist

As we look back on this hellish year, there are at least a few pleasant things that we can take away from it like Instagram, which has provided us with the escapism that we’ve so dearly needed. We’ve been busy over the past year double-tapping all over the shop, and it’s now time to take a look back and see which are the most-liked Instagram photos of 2020. Is it a Kylie Jenner-fest or have we been liking pictures of actual value on the app?

Well, as it turns out, a mixture of both. Sort of. As evidenced by accounts such as the world record egg (that posted its viral hit in 2019), this list applies to photos that have gained the most likes up to this point in history – so, let’s take a look at the most-liked Instagram photos of 2020.

10. Lebron James

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by LeBron James (@kingjames)

At number 10 is Lebron James, who posted this tribute to Kobe Bryant following his tragic death earlier in the year. Lebron was a former teammate of Bryant’s, and in the post which was liked 15.5 million times he wrote that he was “heartbroken and devastated.”

“My heart goes to Vanessa and the kids. I promise you I’ll continue your legacy man! You mean so much to us all here especially #LakerNation💜💛 and it’s my responsibility to put this shit on my back and keep it going!! Please give me the strength from the heavens above and watch over me!”

9. Tentree

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by tentree (@tentree)

It wouldn’t be Instagram without a colourful animation telling people to be more conscious of the environment in the top 10 most-liked posts now, would it? Taking the number nine spot is Tentree, who promised 500,000 trees would be planted in exchange for five million likes, with one million being planted in exchange for 20 million likes (which they’re yet to receive at a current 15.5 million likes).

On their website, they claim to have planted 50 million trees to date, which likely means they would’ve planted the trees whether you liked the post or not – but still, congrats!

8. Kylie Jenner

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kylie 🤍 (@kyliejenner)

How could a Jenner not feature on this list? And further from that, how could a child of a Jenner not feature? The above post is a compilation of photos dedicated to her daughter Stormi, who was born in February 2018.

It is captioned: “Happy birthday to daddy of the year! I’m slowly but surely starting to accept the fact that storm is a daddy’s girl. 😫 but whatever. We went half on greatness!”

This post has nearly 16 million likes.

7. Lionel Messi

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Leo Messi (@leomessi)

Another widely covered celebrity death this year was Maradonna’s, with the football community coming together to collectively mourn the loss of a legend. Amongst them was Lionel Messi, who shared this photo of the two together which garnered well over 16 million likes.

6. Jennifer Aniston

Jennifer Aniston’s first post on Instagram was responsible for her gaining over one million followers in a record time of five hours and 16 minutes (before it was broken by David Attenborough and Rupert Grint). This photo of her with her Friends costars, uploaded on October 15th 2019 has continued to soar in likes, currently sitting at 16.3 million.

5. Kylie Jenner

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Kylie 🤍 (@kyliejenner)

Oh look, it’s Kylie Jenner again, and this time with the announcement of the birth of her daughter Stormi! This post goes all the way back to 2018 where Kylie had kept her pregnancy a secret up until this photo was posted.

18.5 million likes is plain ridiculous, but that’s how many people flocked to this one.

4. Chadwick Boseman

Another Instagram post discussing the loss of a popular figure (this year really has been dreadful hasn’t it?) is the announcement on Chadwick Boseman’s Instagram page that he had passed away. Chadwick chose to keep his battle with cancer secret and lived with it for four years before passing away in August of this year. The post has over 19 million likes.

3. Cristiano Ronaldo

This post in number three is another mourning Maradona, this time from Cristiano Ronaldo, who shared this photo of the two which sits at nearly 20 million likes. The caption translated reads: “Today I said goodbye to a friend and the world said goodbye to an eternal genius.

“One of the best ever. An unparalleled magician. He leaves too soon but leaves a legacy without limits, and a void that will never be filled. Rest in peace, Ace. You will never be forgotten.”

2. XXXTentacion

At the number two spot is XXXTentacion’s first and final post before he passed away. Posted in May of 2018, it is the second most-liked photo on the platform at 22.6 million likes.

1. World record egg

Aaaand finally at number one – you guessed it! It is, of course, the world record egg. Why this is still a thing is beyond me (and most people), but at a whopping 30 million likes ahead of the competition at 54.8 million, it surely doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.