nutmeg, high, drink

Stupid TikTokers are drinking nutmeg to get high, but does it actually work?

Nutmeg has hallucinogenic properties

Any sensible person who’s grown out of the stupid teenage obsession of getting messed up on every substance will know that nutmeg has hallucinogenic properties. Days of filtering through Reddit to find out which household aerosol is the best to huff through a sock or how to cold water extract the codeine from your mum’s co-codamol stash in the cupboard will have taught you that, however, the next wave of degenerates are just getting turned on to this little trick via TikTok.

That’s right, kids on TikTok are getting high on nutmeg, but this can be rather confusing for those of you who have only experienced the spice as a nice addition to a hot chocolate or bechamel sauce. So, how do you get high from nutmeg? What does getting high from nutmeg feel like? And are there any side effects of getting high on nutmeg?

@k.e.n.z.i.e___It’s supposed to kick in within 5-6 hours so come back ig lmao♬ JWalk challenge – Deven Hollimon

How do you get high from nutmeg?

Nutmeg makes you high when consumed in abnormally large amounts. Users fill a glass with the liquid of their choice (it usually tends to be milkshake to mask the taste), put the appropriate amount of nutmeg in and down the hatch it goes.

People stupid enough to do this describe the high as putting you in a trance-like state that includes a dry mouth, nausea, dizziness and heart palpitations, which all sounds particularly lovely and worthwhile, especially when considering the effects can last up to two days. People report tripping on anything from two teaspoons to 50 grams of nutmeg, although it sounds like even at low amounts it’s just not an enjoyable thing to do at all.

Despite this, there’s an entire subreddit dedicated to nutmeg with 3,300 members, where some members say that consuming it is one of the best experiences they’ve had with drugs in their lives. As with most drugs, it’s likely down to the individual whether it agrees with them or not.

@lilvodkaflavouredjuulpodit got taken down the first time 🙁 ##fyp ##nutmeg♬ original sound – Bethany

What is the science behind nutmeg making you trip?

It all comes down to a chemical in the nutmeg called myristicin, which is common in other plants and spices including parsley and dill (don’t get any funny ideas).

This substance affects the sympathetic nervous system, enhancing the neurotransmitter “norepinephrine”. This is what causes the hallucinations and all the other nasty side effects. If by this point you still need a reason not to take it, have a look at this thread where many people describe the effects it had on them.