Kourtney Kardashian slammed for claiming face masks cause cancer

It’s cool though, she’s only got 102m followers so I doubt anyone noticed

Kourtney Kardashian has been slammed for claiming face masks cause cancer.

In a post on her Instagram story, Kardashian shared a conspiracy theory that the PTFE material in blue surgical-style masks increases the risks of certain cancers.

The post, shared with Kardashian’s 102 million followers, alleged info was from cancer.org, the website of the American Cancer Society, but the organisation has distanced itself from Kardashian’s claims.

Dr William Cance, the ACS’s chief medical and scientific officer, told the New York Post: “There is no evidence to support the claim that the presence of PTFE in a mask causes cancer.

“As a surgical oncologist, I, along with thousands of colleagues in the health-care profession, have been wearing masks for years to protect patients from the spread of infections.”

Kardashian’s post – which is not supported by any evidence and has been strongly rebuked by experts – read: “Those Blue Masks Mandated at grocery stores & airplanes are made of PTFE, a carcinogen made of synthetic fluoride.

“According to Cancer.Org it increases the risk of liver, testicle, pancreas, kidney & breast tumors + ulcerative colitis, thyroid disease, preeclampsia and high cholesterol.

“High exposure can cause influenza-like symptoms and hemorrhaging in the lungs, leading to suffocation.”

She completed the post with wide-eyed and mind-blown emojis. Predictably, the post was quickly met with the reaction it deserved.

People were also quick to point out how staff on the Kardashian clan’s island retreat were wearing masks.

The only evidence that PTFE – polytetrafluoroethylene, for Scrabble enthusiasts – could be harmful is if it is heated to 260 degrees Celcius. In this situation, the material would release fumes. So don’t try and vape your mask.