An ex-contestant has revealed what it’s really like to go on The Chase

You have to bring five outfits with you to the studio

A recent contestant on The Chase has revealed all the behind-the-scenes secrets about what it is really like to appear on the show.

21-year-old maths and German student Rachel Warwick, who was a contestant on the show last month, has posted a TikTok video where she spills the tea and answers loads of frequently asked questions. She was up against Paul “The Sinnerman” Sinha but ended up being caught and didn’t win any money. However, she’s said the show was quite an experience – from having to bring five outfits to the studio to there not even being an audience on set.

Here’s everything she had to say about what it is actually like to go on and film an episode of The Chase.

The Chase, production secrets, what it is like to go on The Chase, contestant, TikTok, video, go on, be on, filming, behind the scenes, secrets

via ITV

Your episode goes on air ages after you actually filmed it

Rachel said that she applied for the show in September 2018, had her audition in October that year, and filmed the episode in December that year. However, her episode has only just aired – in October 2020.

You don’t know your chaser beforehand, so the reactions to them coming on set are genuine

Rachel explained that you don’t know who your chaser is going to be until the moment they appear on set in front of you. The reaction to them coming out through the tunnel is completely genuine, and even Bradley doesn’t know who it’s going to be which Rachel said makes the entire experience “quite exciting”.

via ITV

You’re asked to bring five outfits to the studio with you, and to do your own hair and makeup

Rachel said: “In terms of hair and make-up, you show up to the studio with your hair and make-up done and then the make-up team touch it up later in the day.

“And you bring five outfits with you that you’re happy to wear and then the costume department pick the best one and make sure nobody is clashing. They decide what you wear.”

There’s no audience in the studio

When asked if when you’re done filming you can go and sit in the audience, Rachel said: “A lot of people have asked about the studio audience but there is no audience in the studio.” The Chase is filmed at Elstree Studios, and Rachel says the only time there is an audience is for the celebrity specials of the show.

She added: “I don’t know if many people know this. It’s the four contestants, Bradley, the Chaser, and all the camera crew and producers and stuff but yeah there’s no audience.”

via ITV

Contestants spend loads of time getting to know their team mates before filming the show

In the comments, Rachel spilled even more behind the scenes gossip about what it is like to go on The Chase. Including that the contestants spend hours together in the green room before going out to film. She added that she arrived and met her team at around 10am and they didn’t end up filming until about 5pm.

Yes, Bradley Walsh really is as nice as he seems on TV

Of course, Rachel was asked the all important question of if Bradley Walsh is as nice in real life. She said: “Bradley is lovely, you don’t get to talk to him that much before and after filming but when I did get to speak to him he is so nice and just as nice as on TV.”

via ITV

They don’t stop filming when Bradley says they’re going to an ad break

In the comments of the TikTok video, someone asked: “When Bradley says ‘after the break’ did you just continue straight away?” Rachel answered: “Yes – everything pauses for about 10 seconds and then we kept filming.”

There’s lots going on in the studios, and you might get the chance to meet other TV celebs!!

You only meet the chaser you are up against, but the others are probably dotting around the studio and backstage ready to film. She said they film three episodes a day, so at least two other chasers will be in the studio at the same time as yours.

Rachel says she was quite lucky though, because at the same time they were filming her episode, The Apprentice: You’re Fired was being filmed in the studio next door so she met Lord Sugar and some other celebrities.