teen mom where are they now

This is what the original girls from MTV’s Teen Mom are up to now

Catelynn and Tyler are still together!

Teen Mom was one of those shows alongside “16 and Pregnant” and “My Super Sweet 16” that if you were lucky enough to have MTV, were all you watched after school. Growing up in the UK desperately dreaming of living in America, these shows were bigger, trashier and had way more drama than anything BBC3 could offer us.

And whilst My Super Sweet 16 was fun, the real drama came from Teen Mom with the likes of Farrah, Maci, Catelynn and Amber trying to navigate being teen moms. They not only had to deal with a baby but also unsupportive family and boyfriends whilst trying to complete high school or getting a job.

The show started out all the way back in 2009 and a lot of stuff has changed since they were changing nappies. Teen Mom is currently on its eighth season, and if you’re still watching it you deserve a medal. For those of us who stopped watching in year 10, this is where the original cast of Teen Mom are now:

Farrah Abraham

Farrah’s original storyline was actually super sad. Her boyfriend and baby daddy, Derek, died in a car accident before their daughter Sophia was born. And on top of that, she had a very complicated and tense relationship with her mother. Her mum called her a “whore” and stopped her getting an abortion.

Throughout the early series Farrah goes to therapy for her grief and family issues and also deals with paternity tests from Derek’s family. In 2011 she ended up going to college and getting an associate degree in culinary arts and management. She even came out with her own brand of pasta sauce.

Farrah released a song and a book called “My Teenage Dream Ended” in 2012, the song did not do well with the critics. She also released two sex tapes, with one of them earning her $1million.

She released another song called “Blowin”, yes really, in 2014 and in 2015 was on Celebrity Big Brother in the UK where she was the fifth contestant to leave the house.

Farrah was fired from Teen Mom because of her work in the adult entertainment industry – she had also done webcam shows, appearances at strip clubs and promoted sex toys. But then Farrah sued MTV’s parent company for $5million for “wrongfully terminat[ing] her employment because she did not conform to gender stereotypes”. Farrah received a settlement but has never revealed the amount.

Now Farrah has over two million followers on Instagram, appeared on the US version of Ex on The Beach and her daughter Sophia is now 10 years old.

Farrah regularly posts pictures and videos with her daughter and has just started a podcast with her as well. Can 10 year olds do podcasts? Oh and she randomly met Jeff Bezos at the Emmys.

Maci Bookout McKinney

Maci started out on Teen Mom with her son Bentley and her boyfriend/baby daddy Ryan. However they broke up in the first series of the show after frequent complaints from Maci that Ryan wasn’t taking enough responsibility.

In 2012 Maci started dating Taylor McKinney, who is a motocross racer. They have two children together, Jayde Carter and Maverick Reed. They got married in 2016 and now all live together in Tennessee along with Maci’s son Bentley.

Maci has written a book about her experience as a teen mom and has recently been posting about Bentley starting middle school on her Instagram. Speaking of Instagram, Maci has over four million followers and has recently released a poetry book.

Maci and her husband own a clothing brand called Things That Matter and live in a very big house with a cinema room and pool.

Her life hasn’t been drama free though. Her ex Ryan was sent to rehab in 2017 after falling asleep at the wheel of his car, having allegedly spent over $10,000 on drugs. Maci has filed an “Order of Protection” against Ryan which lists her three children.

Maci was accused by Teen Mom viewers for putting Bentley on a diet, after he changed his eating habits for wrestling training. Maci has always denied he is on a diet and wants him to focus on healthy eating.

Catelynn Baltierra

Catelynn had a unique storyline on Teen Mom as she and her boyfriend Tyler decided to give up their daughter, Carly, for adoption in 16 and Pregnant. But Catelynn was included in Teen Mom to show the different options possible for other girls who found themselves pregnant.

What was a bit odd about Catelynn’s story is that her mum married Tyler’s dad, which yes did make them step siblings, however they got divorced in 2013.

The really sweet thing is Catelynn and Tyler are still together, got married and have gone on to have two more children. They even wrote a book together called “Conquering Chaos”.

Catelynn and Tyler are still close to Carly’s adoptive parents and part of their birth daughter’s life. It hasn’t all been perfect though, Catelynn suffered from postpartum depression from her second daughter’s birth, experienced a miscarriage and was treated for anxiety and depression.

Amber Portwood

Ok so clearly I was not paying attention during my Teen Mom watching days as Amber had a lot of drama go down, even in the early series. Amber starts off the show with her daughter Leah and boyfriend Gary.

Amber was charged with three counts of domestic violence against Gary after it was recorded by the MTV crew. Gary and Amber separated and in 2011 Gary was given full custody of Leah and he became a police officer.

In 2012 Amber was sent to jail for violating her drug probation requirements and was sentenced to five years in jail but was let out after 17 months.

Amber was engaged to Matt Baier when she was 24 and he was 42 but they ended their engagement after Amber found out Matt had children from previous relationships that she was unaware of.

Then Amber met a cinematographer called Andrew Glennon and they had a baby boy together in 2018. However the two broke up after Amber was charged with “domestic battery and criminal recklessness with a deadly weapon” after she allegedly attacked Andrew and used a machete to break down the door of the room he was hiding in.

Andrew had a restraining order against Amber and she was given 906 days of probation. More recently she’s apparently dating a Belgian man called Dimitri Garcia, who caused a bit of panic that Amber was missing after he uploaded an Instagram story about counting down the days till he finds her. In reality he’d just used Google Translate badly.