jamie dornan the fall

Erm, Jamie Dornan stalked a woman to ‘get into character’ for The Fall

A rather extreme form of method acting

All three seasons of The Fall were added to Netflix at the start of August and it’s safe to say people are still very much obsessed over the show. Fair enough, Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan are very worthy of obsession. But it turns out Jamie got a little too into his character as he revealed he stalked a woman to get into Paul Spector’s mind.

In an interview Jamie said he followed a woman off a train a few stops earlier than he planned to. He said: “Hold on … this is a really bad reveal: I, like, followed a woman off the train one day to see what it felt like to pursue someone like that.

“I really kept my distance … she got off a few stops earlier than I was planning so I said right, I have to commit to this. I followed her around a couple of street corners and then was like: what are you doing?”

Jamie did say it felt “very exciting” but in a “dirty way” and he wanted to know what would motivate someone to follow another person.

He said: “It felt kind of exciting, in a really sort of dirty way. I’m sort of not proud of myself. But I do honestly think I learned something from it, because I’ve obviously never done any of that.

“It was intriguing and interesting to enter that process of ‘what are you following her for?’ and ‘what are you trying to find out?’”

As if that creepy behaviour wasn’t enough The Fall has previously been criticised for “glamourising sexual violence against women”. However the show’s writer, Alan Cubbitt, has always defended the show, claiming he always wanted to “make sure that there was nothing gratuitous or exploitative in the drama”.

He also said he wanted to flag warning signs of predatory male behaviour such as “Flashing, stealing underwear, making obscene phone calls […] They are predatory expressions of aggression” which are often overlooked.

Still not impressed by Jamie Dornan’s stalker behaviour though.

Seasons one to three of The Fall are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.