Okay but what does the Midnight Sun pomegranate actually mean?

The latest Twilight book is out today

Stephanie Meyer’s new book is out today, telling the story of Twilight from Edward’s perspective. Apparently it will reveal more details about Edward’s past and will give us an insight into his complex inner thoughts.

Twilight fans were so excited when the book was announced that Stephanie Meyer’s website crashed, and naturally we all have a lot of questions about the story: Will Edward still be as creepy as he was in Twilight? Probably. Will Charlie still be the best character? Absolutely.

But the question on everybody’s lips is: What’s on the front cover? Why is there a pomegranate? What does it all MEAN??

It links with the other Twilight books

As we all know, the first Twilight book has a red apple on the cover, from the scene where Edward bounces one off his foot in the school canteen, and then gives it to Bella. Yummy.

New Moon has a rose on the cover, Eclipse has a torn ribbon, and Breaking Dawn has a chess piece. All five book covers are black, with red and white images and text.

Midnight Sun pomegranate

The Midnight Sun pomegranate represents us looking into Edward’s inner feelings

Apparently the Latin word for pomegranate is “apple with many seeds” – so we’re getting the same as the first Twilight book, just a different variation as it’s from Edward’s rather than Bella’s perspectives.

This very in-depth fan theory has cracked out the GCSE English Lit, and says: “The inside look at the pomegranate as opposed to seeing the outside of the fruit can represent how we are getting an insider’s look into Edward’s thoughts and feelings.” Carol Ann Duffy would be proud.

Pomegranates symbolise power, blood, death, and eternal life which are obviously all heavy themes in Twilight and for vampires in general.

It references a Greek myth

The publisher’s website says: “As we learn more fascinating details about Edward’s past and the complexity of his inner thoughts, we understand why this is the defining struggle of his life. How can he let himself fall in love with Bella when he knows that he is endangering her life?

“In Midnight Sun, Stephenie Meyer transports us back to a world that has captivated millions of readers and, drawing on the classic myth of Hades and Persephone, brings us an epic novel about the profound pleasures and devastating consequences of immortal love.”

Hades and Persephone is a Greek myth, where God of the underworld Hades falls in love with Persephone and kidnaps her. Persephone is the daughter of Goddess of nature Demeter, who asks Hades to let Persephone go. Hades tricks Persephone into eating six pomegranate seeds: Now she’s eaten food from the underworld, she must spend half of the year there, one month for each pomegranate seed.

Clearly Hades is meant to be Edward – he’s defo broody enough to be God of the underworld. Bella’s Persephone, and while Edward doesn’t kidnap her, it’s clear from the Twilight books he thinks being with him will ruin Bella’s life.

Does this mean Charlie is now the Goddess of nature? If so, I’m here for it.

It’s all a bit sexual

People have pointed out online that the cover’s quite sexual, and looking at the pomegranate (all those holes) it’s easy to see why. PG sexual imagery is usually in the form of fruit – think emojis like bananas, peaches and aubergines. I guess the pomegranate is the new nectarine?

Vampires are dark and sexy, Twilight is dark and sexy, and this book cover is for sure dark and sexy.