Rishi Sunak is going to announce paid six-month work experience for young people

It’s minimum wage, but still

Rishi Sunak will announce a scheme of paid six-month work experience for young people today, in a bid to insulate them from the worst economic effects of the coronavirus crisis.

Anyone aged 16-24 and on Universal Credit will be eligible for a subsidised six-month work placement.

It’s part of a £2 billion scheme to be announced today by the chancellor, aimed at helping young people.

It’s believed the scheme will cover minimum wage – £6.45 for 18-20 year olds, and £8.20 for 21-24 year olds – for up to 25 hours a week. Employers will be able to top up these wages.

The BBC reports Sunak told Cabinet the government is aiming to stop young people being “left behind”.

Sunak said: “Young people bear the brunt of most economic crises, but they are at particular risk this time because they work in the sectors disproportionately hit by the pandemic.”

The first young people could be employed by the scheme in the autumn.

Experts warn graduates and young people will be the hardest hit by the economic crisis, with career progression limited and the demographic being more likely to work in at-risk hospitality and retail jobs.

Have you had to use Universal Credit since the coronavirus crisis hit? Tell us your experience in confidence by emailing [email protected]