Over one million people have now signed a petition to have PornHub shut down

It’s accused of aiding trafficking

The petition to shut PornHub down over accusations of aiding the trafficking of women and children has now been signed by over one million people.

According to Laila Micklewait, who started the petition, the #Traffickinghub campaign was established as “an effort to hold the largest porn website in the world accountable for enabling and profiting off of the mass sex trafficking, rape and exploitation of women and minors.

“The petition has been signed by people from 192 countries and the campaign is supported by over 300 child protection and anti-trafficking organizations as well as experts on, and survivors of sex trafficking.”

The petition includes an extensive list of links to various alleged victims of the site, including a number of summarised cases in evidence: “A 15-year-old girl who had been missing for a year was finally found after her mother was tipped off that her daughter was being featured in videos on the site — 58 such videos of her rape and sexual abuse were discovered on Pornhub.”

Signees are able to add their own comments on the petition, with the most upvoted one reading: “Capitalist misogyny is not just a bit of fun. Women and children are not your masturbation slaves.”

The petition is now aiming for 1,500,000 signatures, with the final list being delivered to The Department of Justice along with several other parties including Justin Trudeau and Donald Trump.

PornHub responded to the petition saying: “Pornhub has a steadfast commitment to eradicating and fighting any and all illegal content on the internet, including non-consensual content and child sexual abuse material. Any suggestion otherwise is categorically and factually inaccurate.

“While the wider tech community must continue to develop new methods to rid the internet of this horrific content, Pornhub is actively working to put in place state-of-the-art, comprehensive safeguards on its platform to combat this material.”

To sign the petition click here

For more information on the petition visit the #TraffickingHub website