Someone on TikTok has shown how to grow an avocado plant at home and my mind is blown

Save ur pennies

As summer trundles along and we’re forced to restrict our activities, why not grow some of your own produce? There’s little greater pleasure than growing your own vegetables from home and being able to cook with them, and I’m here to tell you that NOW is the time to begin! But wouldn’t it make things sweeter (or like, neutral flavoured, whatever they taste like) if you had the seeds already at your disposal? Here’s how to grow an avocado plant at home.

TikTok user @tommbirch uploaded a tutorial which shows how you can grow your very own avocado plant from the comfort of your own home, and with over 250k views, it’s clear to say that other people are pretty gassed about this too. Using just some potting supplies and the seed that you usually throw away, you’ll never need to spend your precious pennies on expensive avocados again! Just follow these simple steps, and you’ll have your own blossoming avocado plant in no time:

1. Cut your avocado and save the central seed

avocado seed, vegan

Try not to do the usual big slice into the seed, although it’s not the end of the world if you do. Then enjoy the flesh – after all, it’s healthy to eat at least one a day.

2. Once removed, peel the outer layer of the seed

how to grow avocado plant, vegan, seed, peel

This is a step that many forget, becoming disappointed after a week or two when nothing happens. Use the knife to remove the outer layer to reveal the lighter brown shade beneath.

3. Fill a jar with water and suspend the seed

how to grow avocado plant, avocado growing, seed

Insert the wooden pegs into the seed to suspend it above the water. Ensure that the bottom half sits in the water, and now is the time to wait!

4. As the seed germinates, a root will start to emerge

how to grow avocado plant, avocado root, seed

The seed will start to look like something from a sci-fi film as the root creeps into the water below, but that’s what you want! When the root at the bottom looks healthy and strong (as in the photo), it’s time to move onto the next step.

5. Plant the seed so that half emerges from the soil

how to grow avocado plant, avocado seed, germination

Go to your local garden centre and ask for their advice on the best soil for fruits and vegetables. It’s a small detail, but certain soils have different properties and purposes, and you want your avocado plant to be in a mix that ensures it grows as strong and fruitful as possible. Et voila – that’s how to grow an avocado plant at home!Avocados take a long time to come into fruition, but it will be so worth it when you serve up your first guac.

For a video tutorial of the process, take a look at the original TikTok video:

@tommbirchI call your dance challenge and raise you the avocado challenge ##dancechallenge ##avocadotree♬ Laxed (Siren Beat) – Jawsh 685

Related stories recommended by this author:

• Why are avocados so expensive?

• If you want to lose weight you should eat an avocado every day, says new study

• I’m almost afraid to admit this but I really do not get the hype about avocados