People are ‘sobbing uncontrollably’ at ‘beautiful’ Netflix documentary A Secret Love

Prepare to ugly cry!

Netflix has just released its latest documentary A Secret Love. The film tells the story of two elderly women, who kept their relationship secret for over 60 years. And you better have some tissues ready for this one, because the story will definitely pull at your heartstrings and then some.

Reviews of the film have praised it for being a “beautiful” portrayal of the struggles the two women had coming out in difficult times. Here’s everything you need to know about the new show.

A Secret Love, Netflix, story, true, documentary, review, Twitter, reaction, doc, events, about, synopsis, trailer

via Netflix

A Secret Love is all about two woman who kept their relationship secret for over 60 years

A Secret Love is an hour and 22 minute long film which tells the story of Pat Henschel and Terry Donahue. The pair met in 1947, when attitudes towards homosexuality were very different to how they are today. For example, Terry played in an all-girls baseball league where players were encouraged to always wear skirts so it wasn’t assumed they were gay.

The couple fell in love, but kept their relationship under wraps and didn’t tell their families because of these negative views in society. They spent 62 years as secret spouses before coming out to their families when they were in their 80s.

The documentary also touches upon the LGBTQ movement in America and how Pat and Terry could only share their feelings with a few trusted friends from within that community.

The Netflix synopsis for the show says: “Amid shifting times, two women kept their decades-long love a secret. But coming out later in life comes with its own set of challenges.”

via Netflix

People have said A Secret Love is ‘wholesome’, ‘heartwarming’ and has left them ‘sobbing uncontrollably’

The reviews of A Secret Love all seem to say one thing: You will definitely cry. The Hollywood Reporter reviewed the documentary, calling it “heartfelt”, “wholesome”, “fascinating” and a “good old-fashioned love story”.

Twitter also has a lot to say. Viewers have described how the show has left them “sobbing uncontrollably” and have said it should definitely “be your next watch”. Viewers also called it “heartwarming”, “genuine”, “the most beautiful thing ever” and warned to prepare the tissues.

Watch the trailer for A Secret Love on Netflix here:

A Secret Love is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.