Netflix’s ‘Becoming’ doc promises ‘rare and up-close look’ at Michelle Obama’s life

The surprise show is being released next week

Netflix has announced it will be releasing a documentary film about the life of Michelle Obama called ‘Becoming’. The film, with the same name as her award-winning book, will be available to watch next week.

The show promises a never-before-seen, intimate look into the life of the former First Lady and how her life changed during her time in the White House.

Michelle Obama, Becoming, Netflix, documentary, synopsis, about, release date, trailer, teaser, first look

via Netflix

‘Becoming’ follows Michelle Obama on her book tour

The Becoming Netflix documentary is named after Michelle Obama’s best selling memoir. It follows her on the 34-city tour she did of the US promoting the book from 2018-2019, and is said to give a “rare and up-close look” at her life.

It wasn’t just a standard book tour, the events turned into huge community gatherings. Michelle Obama said: “In groups large and small, young and old, unique and united, we came together and shared stories, filling those spaces with our joys, worries, and dreams.”

Netflix has said that the film, directed by Nadia Hallgren, will highlight “the power of community to bridge our divides and the spirit of connection that comes when we openly and honestly share our stories”. Announcing the documentary on her Twitter account, Michelle Obama said the show will share stories of the “amazing” people she met on the book tour and she hopes it will bring “inspiration and joy” at the current time.

via Netflix

In an announcement about the film, Michelle said: “Those months I spent traveling – meeting and connecting with people in cities across the globe – drove home the idea that what we have in common is deep and real and can’t be messed with.

“In talking about the idea of ‘becoming,’ many of us dared to say our hopes out loud. I treasure the memories and that sense of connection now more than ever as we struggle together to weather this pandemic, as we care for our loved ones, tend to our communities, and try to keep up with work and school while coping with huge amounts of loss, confusion and uncertainty.

“Even as we can no longer safely gather or feed off the energy of groups, even as many of us are living with grief, loneliness and fear, we need to stay open and able to put ourselves in other people’s shoes. Empathy is our lifeline here. It’s what will get us to the other side.”

Watch a first look teaser trailer for ‘Becoming’ on Netflix here:

In the preview clip, we see Michelle at an event discussing transitioning to “normal life” after her husband was President.

The Michelle Obama documentary, Becoming, will be available on Netflix worldwide on May 6th. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.