These are the 26 best sports documentaries on Netflix right now

So you can still get your fix

Right now, sport is on hold indefinitely. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get your fix, because Netflix has a whole bunch of sports documentaries which stick you right in the centre of the action.

From brand new documentary series that are airing right now, to older, timeless historical sports series about gripping scandals – Netflix has it all. Here are the best sports documentaries available to stream on Netflix right now.

The Last Dance

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, The Last Dance

via Netflix

The Last Dance tells the story of Michael Jordan and the untouchable ’90s Bulls. Netflix is currently releasing two episodes at a time every Monday. There will be 10 episodes in total.

The synopsis reads: “This docuseries gives a definitive account of Michael Jordan’s career and the 1990s Chicago Bulls, packed with unaired footage from the 1997-98 season.”

Gascoigne

Gascoigne, Netflix

via Netflix

This 2015 documentary is all about, you guessed it, Paul Gascoigne. “A no-holds-barred interview with one of the most talented and enigmatic footballers England has ever known. Gazza being Gazza. Unmissable.”

Dogtown and Z-Boys

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Dogtown and Z-Boys

via Netflix

“Telling the story of the Zephyr skateboarding team of the ‘70s. They started skating to kill time as they waited for better waves to surf. They accidentally created a new sport, a new subculture, and a new way of life.”

Icarus

Icarus, Netflix

via Netflix

“In his Oscar-winning film, an American cyclist plunges into a vast doping scandal involving a Russian scientist – Putin’s most-wanted whistleblower.”

The Least Expected Day: Inside the Movistar Team 2019

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, The Least Expected Day: Inside the Movistar Team 2019

via Netflix

This documentary series currently has one season. “Pro cycling’s Team Movistar set their sights on victory on the road as they face challenges, controversy and internal conflict.”

Sunderland ‘Til I Die

Sunderland 'Til I Die

via Netflix

“Everything was in place for this to be a tale of redemption. It *may* not have worked out that way, but if you ever wanted to see what a football club means to a city, watch the opening scenes of the first episode.” There are currently two seasons available on Netflix.

Cheer

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Cheer

via Netflix

Netflix’s Cheer follows Navarro College’s cheer team for a whole year, capturing every practice, injury, fall-out and dispute up until Daytona, where the Navarro cheerleaders compete in the National Cheerleading Association’s (NCA) annual competition. One review of the show called it “2020’s first must see show”.

“If you don’t think college cheerleading is a sport, then frankly you’re wrong, and coach Monica Aldama will happily tell you why. The jeopardy and tension in this six-part documentary is unrivalled. GO NAVARRO.”

Last Chance U

Last Chance U, Netflix

via Netflix

“Like Cheer, but with American football and fewer concussions. Follow US junior college teams through an entire season, paying special attention to the rather unexpected ending of season one.” There are currently four seasons of Last Chance U on Netflix.

Bobby Robson: More than a Manager

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Bobby Robson: More than a Manager

via Netflix

“The people that knew him best tell the story of one of the most beloved English managers of all time.”

Formula 1: Drive to Survive

Formula 1: Drive to Survive, Netflix

via Netflix

“Get unprecedented access behind the scenes of one of the world’s most elite sports. And watch Daniel Ricciardo call Netflix a bunch of cunts.”

The Dawn Wall

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, The Dawn Wall

via Netflix

“Cameras follow Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson as they take on the staggering challenge of free-climbing Yosemite’s most formidable rock formation. Don’t look down.”

Team Foxcatcher

Team Foxcatcher

via Netflix

“Sports documentary meets horrifying true crime. With never-before-seen home video, this film recounts the paranoid downward spiral of John E. du Pont and the murder of Olympic wrestler Dave Schultz.”

Q Ball

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Q Ball

via Netflix

“Executive produced by NBA star Kevin Durant, hardened convicts at San Quentin State Prison take their shots at redemption while navigating personal struggles by bonding through basketball.”

The Battered Bastards of Baseball

The Battered Bastards of Baseball

via Netflix

“The colourful true story of the Portland Mavericks – a scrappy, independent baseball team of underdogs started by actor Bing Russell (Kurt Russell’s dad, because why not) in the 1970s.”

Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Sir Alex Ferguson: Secrets of Success

via Netflix

“Sir Alex sits down with Nick Robinson to discuss what it was that made him the greatest manager of the Premier League era. Can you guess what he thought of Liverpool’s ’96 cup final suits?”

First Team: Juventus

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, First Team: Juventus

via Netflix

“Basically exactly the same as Sunderland ’Til I Die in every way, except the stripes are a different colour…”

The Short Game

The Short Game

via Netflix

“Who knew the world of kids’ golf tournaments was quite so intense? Do they want to be the next Tiger Woods? Sure. Do their parents want it more? No comment.”

Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Stop at Nothing: The Lance Armstrong Story

via Netflix

This 2014 documentary is all about the Lance Armstrong scandal. His doping case was an investigation which led to American former professional road racing cyclist being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and his eventual admission to using performance-enhancing drugs.

Rooney: The Man Behind the Goals

Rooney: The Man Behind the Goals

via Netflix

“England’s third most successful goalscorer, Gary Lineker, meets England’s *most* successful goalscorer Wayne Rooney to talk about lots of things, including scoring goals.”

Cricket Fever: Mumbai Indians

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Cricket Fever: Mumbai Indians

via Netflix

“Follow Indian Premier League champions Mumbai Indians through the 2018 season in this series featuring insider insights and intense cricket action. Basically ‘Mumbai ‘Til I Die’.”

Fightworld

Fightworld

via Netflix

“Actor and martial artist Frank Grillo explores and experiences the diverse fighting techniques found in cultures around the world.”

Maradona in Mexico

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Maradona in Mexico

via Netflix

“In this docuseries Diego Maradona comes to Culiacán, the heart of the Sinaloa Cartel, to save the local team, the Dorados, and maybe himself, too.”

Screwball

Screwball

via Netflix

“A steroid peddler explains how he went from an unlicensed anti-aging expert to the point man for the biggest scandal in baseball history.”

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez

via Netflix

The three-part docuseries explores the crimes of former NFL player Aaron Hernandez. It includes exclusive courtroom footage and tapes of Hernandez’s phone calls from prison.

The documentary takes you through the struggles in his early life, how he became one of the biggest NFL players of his generation and then ended up as a convicted killer. Hernandez was charged with first degree murder in 2013, just a year after signing a $40 million contract with the New England Patriots football team. He was found guilty in 2015 and then died by suicide in 2017.

The Carter Effect

The Carter Effect

via Netflix

“Featuring eight-time NBA All-Star Vince Carter, this documentary takes an in-depth look at his impact on pop culture and the Canadian basketball scene.”

The Redeemed and The Dominant: Fittest on Earth

Netflix, sports, documentaries, doc, series, sport, best, shows, The Redeemed and The Dominant: Fittest on Earth

via Netflix

“Questions about endurance, doping and overall toughness surround a group of elite athletes as they compete fiercely at the Reebok Crossfit Games.”

For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.