Joe Exotic doesn’t actually sing his songs, this is the real band who do

It’s all been a big LIE!

All of Joe Exotic’s songs are bangers and he had a pretty decent voice, but it turns out it wasn’t actually him singing. And I am shocked.

According to Vanity Fair, the people behind the classic tunes “Here Kitty Kitty” and “I saw a Tiger” were actually Danny Clinton and Vince Johnson.

Apparently Joe tracked the two down and persuaded them to write his songs for free. Joe has also been said to be an awful singer and can’t play the guitar.

joe exotic doesn't sing Tiger king netflix

According to TMZ Danny Clinton sadly passed away in October, but Vince Johnson was more than happy to share what actually happened to Vanity Fair about Joe Exotic.

Vince said Joe tracked to duo down and said he was a large cat owner who needed music for a reality show that was in a bidding war between National Geographic, Animal Planet and Discovery. Vince said they agreed to create the music for free in the chance for exposure on TV.

The first song they created was the classic that is “I saw a Tiger”. According to Vince, Joe would give them a topic and then they would create a song in two weeks.

Vince said they had no idea what Joe was actually doing with the songs and creating them into music videos until he looked him up on YouTube.

He said: “It was a couple of months and two or three songs [into the collaboration] when I was on YouTube one night and just happened to look up Joe Exotic. And there he was, lip-syncing and acting like the ghost of Elvis [in these music videos].”

Vince said he called Joe who said the reality show would be coming soon. He said: “I called him up, I was hot…And he bamboozled me about his reality show—that it was coming soon and he would make everything right as rain. I just wanted the proper credit.”

joe exotic doesn't sing

The producer of Joe’s reality show, Rick Kirkham, said Joe got drunk one evening and they asked him to sing one of his songs and apparently he’s an awful singer.

Rick said: “Joe got a little bit drunk and high, and we actually coaxed him into singing part of one of the songs. He couldn’t even hold a tune. It was just so ludicrous. It was a big joke within the crew and staff that it wasn’t him [singing in the videos]—but he was damned insistent to anyone and everyone, including us and my studio crew, that that was him.”

And one of the team members who created Joe’s music videos, said they all knew he couldn’t actually play the guitar.

He said: “He couldn’t even play the guitar. So we would pose him. When we shot him playing these songs, he would be behind grass to cover up his hands. Then he’d lip-sync.”

I honestly can’t believe the greatest musician of our time has turned out to be a con.

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness is available to watch on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook. 

For more Tiger King stories see these related articles:

Which of Joe Exotic’s songs slaps the hardest? A definitive ranking

This is how much money the Tiger King zookeepers are worth

These 41 crazy Tiger King memes prove how much of a rollercoaster it really is