At-home coronavirus tests are going to be available in the UK in the next few days

They take just 15 minutes!

The UK will be getting at-home coronavirus test kits within the next few days a Public Health England director has confirmed.

The tests will be sold on the high street and Amazon and will be available by next week.

Today Professor Sharon Peacock, director of the national infection service at PHE, told MPs once the tests are cleared they will be distributed to the community. She said millions of the tests have been purchased for the UK.

She said: “Several million tests have been purchased for use. These are brand new products. We have to be clear they work as they are claimed to do.

“Once they have been tested this week and the bulk of tests arrive, they will be distributed into the community.”

The antibody test involves pricking your finger and analysing a drop of blood in a device that looks like a pregnancy test.

The test detects the presence of IGM, which is an antibody that arises very early on when you’re infected with coronavirus. It will also detect IGG which is increased in the body’s response to the virus.

The test will confirm if the person using the test currently has COVID-19 or has had it previously.

Health secretary Matt Hancock had previously said the UK government had ordered millions of tests and was still in the process of ordering more.

For the latest NHS and government advice on coronavirus (COVID-19) see here.

Images: SWNS stock images