How to get on the TikTok for you page: A step-by-step guide

What else are you going to do in quarantine?

If like everyone else, you’re stuck in quarantine and have made the first step into your fledgeling TikTok career, you have probably Googled “how to get on TikTok for you page” at some point. In fact, you probably Googled it just now and landed on this article – and thank God you did because you are about to learn a very dark art.

We’ve compiled everything we know about TikTok’s mysterious algorithm, spoke to a few of the biggest stars on the platform, and condensed our findings into this ultimate guide, so you can become a TikTok royalty in a matter of months.

How to get on TikTok for you page: All you need to know

How to get on TikTok for you page, best ways to get more followers on TikTok, how does TikTok algorithm work? How TikTok decides what goes on for you page?

The angry TikTok pasta guy, via Instagram (@itsqcp)

Post as often as you can

Unlike Facebook, the TikTok algorithm does not care how often you’re spamming videos. According to Grant Beene, a TikToker with over a million followers, “there is no such thing as posting too much on TikTok.”

The algorithm shows users a mix of really popular videos and some less popular ones. If you’re wondering why a video with 10 likes has been put in front of you, it’s because TikTok is testing it out, and you are a small group of users seeing that video. If a lot of people within that test group respond positively to the video (by liking or sharing it), that video will be put in front of more and more people. This is why TikTokers say their popularity comes in waves.

Make sure other people can interact with your video

Many Instagram accounts these days set themselves to private so users have no choice but t follow if they want to see the content – it’s great for follower growth. That trick will not fly here. The more private and inaccessible you make your profile and content, the less chance you’ll have of making it to the for you page.

There are a few ways TikTokers can recycle content in a way that will benefit you if you allow them.

@martineztwinsTHANKS FOR 6M🎉♬ Crystal Dolphin – Engelwood

The first is the audio: If you use an original audio and others repurpose it for their own TikToks, anyone seeing those TikToks can click a link which shows them where the original video came from.

The second is duets: a unique TikTok feature which has other users’ TikToks play alongside yours. there are loads of ways people take advantage of this feature, but if you’re wanting to get yourself noticed you need to make sure other users can duet with you.

The third is making sure people can download your video. Sure it’s not ideal when someone else tweets your video and makes it go viral on their own platform, but exposure is still exposure.

Use the the right hashtags

To be honest, if your video is funny enough, you won’t need hashtags to get on the for you page, but using #foryoupage and #fyp can’t hurt. Throw in one more depending on the genre of your video, like #uni or #manchester and that will do.

Make your content weird and engaging

People on TikTok like weird things. The more out there you are, the more likely you are to have a massive hit. Users will often like videos as a way of bookmarking them to later show their friends. They will only do this if the video is actually jokes, so how to get on the TikTok for you page is basically a game of how funny can you be.

Take advantage of trending music and formats dominating the for you page

You will have noticed if you like a video which uses a particular song-and-dance combination, the algorithm will sometimes immediately show you another TikTok using the exact same format. Originality is obviously great, but you have to pay attention to what’s trending and capitalise on it.

Use engagement bait to keep people coming back to your profile

If you’re familiar with TikTok you will have seen a few of these tricks. The obvious one is doing some sort of experiment and telling your followers to come back in 24 hours to see the results. Another is guilt-tripping your audience into liking your video by saying you’re posting it to your “zero followers.” Boo hoo.

The algorithm favours people watching videos all the way through to the end. Alessandro, the CEO of The Influencer Marketing Factory, a company that matches TikTokers with brand deals, told The Tab formatting your videos with a “plot twist” is the way to go – that way people have to watch to the end.

Make your videos as rewatchable and sharable as possible

Gianluca, the Angry Pasta Guy who went viral earlier this month and who now has 1.4 million followers, says “rewatchability and shares” are a big part of the TikTok algorithm and essential in how to get on TikTok for you page.

“Who’s gonna send this to their friends?” he told The Tab. “That’s what gets the video flowin’ and gets it pushed out to your viewers. You want people to want to watch the video again.”

Now you know how to get on TikTok for you page, here’s more TikTok content for you:

Are you a TikTok pro? Get 7/10 on this TikTok trivia quiz to prove it

‘I really don’t even cook very much’: We spoke to *that* TikTok pasta guy

There’s a TikTok you can play if you feel uncomfortable in an Uber