This is how to self isolate at uni if you’re in halls or a house

You’ve got to actually clean the bathroom!

Sharing a house at uni can be the greatest time in your life, it can also be absolute hell and trying to self isolate whilst at uni either in halls or a house, is going to be tricky.

The government have released guidelines for those that need to self isolate and basically you’re not interacting with anyone. Put those ideas of day long movie marathons with your flatmates to bed, you’ll be Netflix and chilling firmly on your own.

Mind and other mental health charities have also released information about how to look after your mental health when you’re self isolating.

This how to actually self isolate at uni:

Stay in your room

Government guidelines say those who live in shared spaces should stay in their room and only come out when necessary. The room you isolate in should ideally be ventilated and you should keep windows open, with the door closed.

Use the bathroom last

Because it’s always great being the last person on a bathroom rota. The government advise drawing up a rota for the bathroom and the person who is infected should use it last.

They also recommend cleaning it after use and using separate towels to the rest of the house.

Eat all your meals in your room

It’s advised that when making meals you should try and go into the kitchen when it’s empty. The government suggests you should take all your meals and eat them in your room which is tragic but important.

When clearing up, most student homes obviously don’t have a dishwasher, so use warm water and detergent to clean up and use a separate tea towel to dry up.

Whoever is infected should also have their own cutlery, plates and glasses etc.

Establish a house routine

Mind suggest creating a house routine and to give everyone a say in the rota.

Keeping your mental health in check during isolation

Obviously being on your own in your room is going to get lonely, so stay active on the group chat, FaceTime friends and family and if your house mates don’t mind chat through your bedroom door.

The founder of wellbeing company PUSH, Cate Murden, has recommended setting boundaries with the people you live with. This is so assumptions aren’t made and to minimises the risk of arguments.

Cate said: “During challenging times, boundaries help ensure that assumptions aren’t made when tempers are already shortened – which could easily lead to frayed edges and blow ups.

“Setting boundaries will ensure that relationships can be mutually respectful, appropriate, and caring.”

Featured image credit: ezeileagu chibisi chidubem/ Creative commons licence