These reactions to Phillip Schofield coming out will make you feel wholesome

I’m not crying, you are

Earlier today Phillip Schofield released a statement announcing he was gay and the reactions to the news have been so warm. He appeared on This Morning alongside Holly Willoughby to publicly discuss the news.

In his official statement he said he had been coming to terms with his sexuality for a number of years and after 27 years of marriage to his wife Steph, he has made the decision to come out. He said: “With the strength and support of my wife and daughters, I have been coming to terms with the fact that I am gay.”

via ITV

Phillip also said he has had incredible support from his family, friends and team at ITV. In particular he mentioned his friendship with Holly and said she has been a great shoulder to cry on.

He said: “My friends are the best, especially Holly, who has been so kind and wise – and who has hugged as I sobbed on her shoulder.”

via Instagram @hollywilloughby

Phillip appeared on the beginning of today’s This Morning show and spoke with Holly. He said how proud he was of his announcement and it was getting to the point where he started to not feel happy within himself because he felt he wasn’t being honest.

He said: “I was getting to the point where I didn’t like myself very much because I wasn’t being honest… but actually I am very proud of myself today.”

Everyone on Twitter is reacting with love and celebration of his brave announcement. People are saying they’re crying with happiness at his news and some have said his coming out could help many people.

See the happiest and positive tweets celebrating Phillip Schofield’s coming out:

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

7.

8.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13.

14.

15.

16.

17.

18.

19.

20.

21.