Inside all the real life filming locations of The Stranger on Netflix

Someone lend me £1.45 million to buy the Price house please

Everyone’s latest psychological thriller obsession has landed on Netflix in the form of The Stranger. If you’ve started it, you already know it’s wild, filled with twists and turns and you don’t have a spare second to draw yourself away from the drama. But if you could, you might notice some of the interesting filming locations featured in The Stranger.

From quaint cafes to the Price’s ginormous family home, The Stranger covers a lot of areas. Here’s everywhere filming took place, plus where is real and where is completely made up for the show.

Where is The Stranger on Netflix set?

The Stranger on Netflix is set in the fictional town of Cedarfield, which is meant to be in the north of the UK. The cast all speak with Northern accents and the filming locations for The Stranger are spread all across Manchester, Bolton and Stockport.

The book the show is based on, Harlan Coben’s best selling novel with the same name, is set in America.

The Price house

Adam Price and his family in The Stranger live in the most stunning house. The kitchen is amazing, the garden is perfectly landscaped and tbh, I want to move in. The real house is in Didsbury, a suburban village south of Manchester city centre, and is a Grade II listed building. Back in 2013, it was put on the market for £1.45million and was the most expensive house in the area.

The house is called Park End House and is next door to a four-star Victorian town house hotel. The building had previously been used as a halls of residence for students, before being renovated.

The previous owner told Manchester Evening news: “This house had been a hall of residence for 24 female students and was in a really dreadful state; two dilapidated kitchens, sinks in all the bedrooms, a tree growing out of the back room and a jungle of a garden. But we were moving from Lymm to be closer to where we socialised, and knew it could be a beautiful house in a great spot, right next door to the park and within walking distance of the village.”

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Price, house, home,

The Stranger on Netflix

The inside pictures of the real house are awful quality, but I can still tell I want to live here.

In the show the inside is modern and the garden is perfectly landscaped and has a hot tub.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Price, home, house, family

The Stranger on Netflix

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton

The Stranger on Netflix

Adam’s neighbour, Tripp, lives across the street in the Pine House. The Pine House is a historical Grade II listed building, constructed around 1840.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Pine House, house, home

The cake shop

Heidi, played by Jennifer Saunders, owns a fictional cake shop called Brown Sugar Cafe in The Stranger.

In real life, this is a tea room called the Proper Tea, which is also known as the Café At The Cathedral. It is located right across the street from Manchester Cathedral.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2YSiAwhINI/

The school

The school the boys go to is called Cedarfield High School in the show, which isn’t real.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Cedarfield High School

The Stranger on Netflix

The real location is the Bolton School. Bolton School is an independent day school in Bolton, Greater Manchester. It has a nursery, infant school, single sex junior schools and single sex senior schools including sixth forms. Almost 2,400 pupils go there, making it one of the largest independent day schools in the country.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Bolton school, school, Cedarfield High School

via Instagram @richardcarmitage

The football courts

Cedarfield Sports Club is where Thomas plays football in the Netflix show. This doesn’t exist in real life, and the scenes are instead filmed at Monton Sports Club which is located in Welbeck Rd, Eccles. Eccles is in Greater Manchester.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, football, sports club, Monton Sports Club

The town

We first see the fictional town of Cedarfield in episode one, when a decapitated alpaca is discovered. These scenes were actually filmed in Bury – which is almost eight miles northwest of Manchester.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Cedarfield

The alpaca farm

The alpaca farm, home to the Take That and One Direction alpacas in The Stranger is actually filmed at White Peak Alpacas in Mobberley, a village part of Cheshire.

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, alpaca, farm, white peak alpacas, Cheshire

The farm is rated five stars on Trip Advisor and is the number one attraction in the area. You can buy an “alpaca experience” where you get to cuddle the alpacas, take them on a walk around the farm and take pictures with them.

Suzanne’s house

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, house

Suzanne Hope’s house, where Adam visits, it’s quite recognisable as you can see the bell tower of St Philip’s Church in Salford behind it.  

via Google Maps

The coffee shop he meets her in is nearby too, it’s Ancoats Coffee Co, situated in the Royal Mills. The coffee shop and the house are about a 35 minute walk away from each other.

Harpurton

The Stranger filming locations, The Stranger, Netflix, filming, location, set, places, real life, Manchester, Stockport, Bolton, Harpurton, station

The family go on the hunt for Corinne and pass through Harpurton station – which is also a fictional place. However the bridge they cross over is real and is Martholme Viaduct in Lancashire.

The Stranger is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.