Michelle Carter, who was convicted over text-suicide, is being released today

Her release from prison is early

Michelle Carter, the woman who was convicted of manslaughter after convincing her boyfriend to take his own life, is being released from prison early. Michelle Carter’s release is due today (Thursday 23rd) between prison working hours of 8am and 4pm.

Michelle Carter was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in June 2017 after her boyfriend, Conrad Roy, took his own life. Police found texts from her that seemed to encourage him to take his own life, even when he said he was having doubts. Michelle was sentenced to a 15-month prison sentence, to be served at the Bristol County House of Correction.

Michelle Carter release, Michelle Carter, prison, case, release, leave, prison, jail, today, texts, messages, suicide, case, latest, news, updates, Conrad Roy, boyfriend, death, sentence

Michelle Carter in her initial trisl

It is here where Carter, who is 23-years-old now, has been described as a “model inmate”, leading to her early release. Jonathan Darling, public information officer for the Bristol County Sheriff’s Office, told ABC News she had earned “good time” by attending programs, having a job and avoiding disciplinary problems. He added the prison had “no problems” with Michelle Carter and described her as “polite”. She had held down a job serving at the prison cafeteria.

Michelle Carter arrived at the Massachusetts jail in February 2019 after her involuntary manslaughter conviction. Texts sent between her and Conrad Roy made up a huge part of her court trial. 

Michelle Carter in court last year

Prosecutors alleged Carter engaged in a “sick game of life and death,” triggering the 18-year-old’s suicide. One of the messages she sent him read: “Stop thinking and just do it”.  Other messages included: “Hang yourself, jump off a building, stab yourself”, “Just park your car and sit there and it will take, like, 20 minutes. It’s not a big deal” and “You just have to do it… I don’t get why you aren’t.”

Conrad Roy died by suicide in 2014. Carter was sentenced to two and a half years in prison with 15 months served and the rest suspended. Michelle Carter will remain on probation for five years after her release today. Her case was the first in history where  someone was convicted of manslaughter for using their words.