Drug dealers are enrolling in universities as a cover for selling drugs, according to the police

Brb, writing a personal statement so I can sell you an underweighed 20s

Drug dealers are enrolling at universities as a way of hiding their new county lines drug networks, according to police officers.

As experts warn of drug dealers infiltrating universities and enrolling to use their student status as cover, police are liaising with Bangor University to fight the drug selling tactics.

Inspector Jon Aspinall of North Wales Police told the Guardian dealers “infiltrate university and sign up as a student and run a line from that institution”.

Experts said Brighton is a prime target for expanding county lines into university territory. In “some areas like Brighton, the move into university and student accommodations is an obvious one,” Junior Smart, founder of the SOS Gangs Project, told the Guardian. Smart said dealers would pay for someone to go to university, but expect access to the halls in return.

Last year, a student at Kent University was jailed for two years after being found guilty of running a county lines operation from his uni room. Police found £3,460 worth of heroin and cocaine in psychotherapy student Seif Hashim’s room. He was convicted alongside an accomplice in London, who was also involved in the operation.

Aspinall said police were working with Bangor University to safeguard students, adding: “We have a number of county lines running in from Merseyside, one of the highest areas of county lines numbers being released.

“We have found on occasions that if we stop individuals, they do purport to be students. There are a couple of occasions where that has happened and people have subsequently been found to be in possession of large quantities of drugs and cash.”

Unis aren’t facing up to the problem, warns one academic. LSE’s Mohammed Qasim told the Guardian: “Growing numbers of universities are now seeing county lines drug dealers who are posing as students. But the issue is that some universities are reluctant to talk about it as it damages their reputation. From my discussions with people – both academics and people on the ground – this has been established as something that is happening at increasing numbers of universities.”

Do you know anything about this story? Do you have a similar story you want to share? Email [email protected] in confidence.