Image may contain: Pants, Footwear, Shoe, Clothing, Apparel, Human, Person

Reading Uni accuse student of assault after protestors clash with security

They’ve suspended a student

Reading Uni have accused a student of assault after protestors clashed with security during an attempted occupation of the university's business school.

Police were called during the incident, in which a security guard came into contact with a stool, and one student has been suspended indefinitely pending a serious misconduct investigation.

The students involved deny assault, however, telling The Tab security were violent and that one protestor sustained a bruise during the clash on Sunday night.

Image may contain: Lawn, Plant, Grass

The ICMA building, via Andrew King, CC 2.0 license

A group of students entered Reading's ICMA business school building at 9:15 on Sunday night, in support of the UCU strikes. They attempted to seal the doors with zip ties. but were interrupted by security.

The occupiers say security became "violent" and "aggressive" and that one guard lifted a table students were sat on and threw it aside.

Occupiers accuse the security guard of showing "little respect for the student’s safety or damage to University property", in a joint statement provided to The Tab. One student says they sustained this bruise at that point:

Image may contain: Back, Neck, Person, Human, Knee

"We were fucking terrified of this guy", Dorian McHale, the suspended student, told The Tab.

Occupiers then ran into a second part of the building. "I put a foot stool in the doorway, lower than knee height", says Dorian, a third year history and philosophy student.

She says the security guard tripped over the stool in the doorway. However, the security guard alleged Dorian assaulted him.

Oliver Kent, a postgrad, "interposed" himself, standing between Dorian and the security guard.

Video footage shows a security guard restraining Oliver:

Image may contain: Machine, Chair, Furniture, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human

The security guards also accused Oliver of assault, and can be heard saying "you're under arrest".

Protestors say police arrived around two hours later, and no arrests or warnings were made.

Afterwards, ICMA staff were emailed saying: "There was an attempt to occupy our building yesterday. A group of students erected barricades and cable-tied the doors, but were discovered by Security before they could complete the task. Two security officers were assaulted during the incident."

Later, Dorian and Oliver received letters from the university's Deputy Vice-Chancellor informing them of their suspension.

"Because of the severity of your involvement in the incident", Oliver was told, "you are banned indefinitely from entering any part of the university campus or its premises". The letter says police may be called if Oliver is found on university premises.

Oli says he'll be unable to attend his graduation, despite having paid £88 for robe hire and photography.

Dorian's letter tells her: "Because of the severity of your involvement in the incident on Sunday that included your assault of a Security Officer, and the concerning pattern of behaviour you have displayed, a serious misconduct investigation will be started to consider the situation."

Image may contain: Brochure, Flyer, Paper, Advertisement, Poster, Page, Document, Text

The letter sent to Dorian

Dorian has been suspended from studies and banned from being on uni premises, however she denies assaulting the member of security staff.

Reading would not comment directly on the incident, or accusations against their security staff, but told The Tab: “The safety and welfare of our students and staff is our number one priority, and in all incidents we review all available evidence to guide us in making appropriate decisions.”

A UCU spokesperson told The Guardian: “We are disappointed to learn that a student has apparently been suspended at this stage. Staff and students have the right to protest peacefully and the university should be listening to those concerns rather than suspending people without due process.”

Thames Valley Police have been contacted for comment.