Image may contain: Elephant, Wildlife, Mammal, Animal, Human, Person

Elephant rides to the Angkor Wat temples in Cambodia are being banned

Elderly elephants are being moved back to the jungle

Cambodia is set to ban elephants rides at the famed Angkor Wat temples early next year.

Elephants will be moved back to live in their natural habitat in the jungle. An official has announced today that the ban is set to come into effect by "the start of 2020".

Elephants have been used as transport around the temples since 2001 and many of them are said to already be old and have poor health. They are also trained to put on performances for visitors.

Image may contain: Pants, Tree, Gown, Fashion, Evening Dress, Robe, Park, Outdoors, Lawn, Apparel, Clothing, Person, Human, Plant, Grass

The Angkor Wat temples, located in the northern Siem Reap, is a popular tourist attraction in Cambodia and is visited by millions tourists and backpackers every year.

Apsara Authority, the government agency that oversees the Angkor archaeological site said it is important for the animals to be able to live in their natural habitat and there are other ways to provide attractions and rides for tourists.

A spokesperson with the Apsara Authority said: "Using elephants for business is not appropriate anymore. They will live out their natural lives there".

Cambodia has long been criticised from animal rights groups because of the elephant rides. Elephants are broken in during training and activists have accused handlers of overworking and mistreating the animals.

Five of the 14 elephants that work there have already been moved to a community forest 25 miles away from the temples. The company that owns the elephants will continue to care for them.

Image may contain: People, Smile, Female, Temple, Denim, Jeans, Face, Tourist, Building, Architecture, Pants, Apparel, Clothing, Vacation, Person, Human