Image may contain: Head, Hair, Face, Crowd, Human, Person

Stormzy calls Jacob Rees-Mogg a ‘piece of sh*t’ after his Grenfell comments

Rees-Mogg suggested the Grenfell victims should have had more ‘common sense’

Stormzy has branded Jacob Rees-Mogg an "actual piece of shit" after the Tory minister suggested victims of Grenfell should have had more "common sense."

During an interview on LBC, Rees-Mogg said: "If you just ignore what you’re told and leave you are so much safer.

"And I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do."

In response, Stormzy called politicians like Rees-Mogg "actual aliens", adding: "I can’t believe the cheek f****** hell.

"This man is the scummiest. You can’t even make this stuff up… let’s bare in mind for 2 secs how horrifying and terrifying the situation would have been for the victims.

"Bare of you politicians are evil and wicked and that’s why we hate you," he tweeted.

Stormzy has been vocal about his distaste for Tory politicians in the past. During a performance at the Brit Awards he explicitly called out then Prime Minister Theresa May for her handling of the Grenfell Disaster.

In his autobiography Rise Up, Stormzy said he had a "responsibility" to represent the victims, adding he wanted to "use that time wisely."

Jacob Rees-Mogg has since apologised for his comments, claiming they were made "with hindsight."

He said: "What I meant to say is that I would have also listened to the fire brigade’s advise to stay and wait at the time.

"However, with what we know now and with hindsight I wouldn’t and I don’t think anyone else would. I would hate to upset the people of Grenfell if I was clear in my comments."

A spokesperson for Grenfell United survivors' group said: "The Leader of the House of Commons suggesting that the 72 people who lost their lives at Grenfell lacked common sense is beyond disrespectful.

"It is extremely painful and insulting to bereaved families."

A former Grenfell resident told The BBC: "Jacob Rees-Mogg talking about common sense is a bit like my dog talking about Wi-Fi. It’s surprising he even understands the concept."