Image may contain: People, Banner, Crowd, Advertisement, Poster, Paper, Flyer, Brochure, Word, Text, Person, Human

A London uni is going beef-free to become carbon neutral

Goldsmiths will also be adding more modules on climate change to the curriculum

Students across London have been campaigning for their universities and the government to bring in policies to tackle climate change this year, most notably in February where 10,000 students crowded parliament square and occupied buses.

For the students of Goldsmiths, their efforts have finally been proven worthwhile today when the university announced it will be carbon neutral by 2025.

The university will be making immediate changes to tackle climate change. Goldsmiths will end the sale on beef on campus by September this year. They will also divest from fossil fuels by December and switch to a renewable energy provider "as soon as is practical".

Goldsmiths plan will also encourage students to move away from single-use plastics by bringing in a 10p levy on plastic water bottles and single-use plastic cups sold on campus, with all proceeds going towards a green student initiative fund.

One of their more interesting changes will be modules on climate change added to the curriculum where students will learn about the gravity of climate change and "the role of individuals and organisations in reducing carbon emissions".

Goldsmiths will also install more solar panels around their campus and have promised to investment in the university's allotment area.

Professor Frances Corner, Warden of Goldsmiths, said: “The growing global call for organisations to take seriously their responsibilities for halting climate change is impossible to ignore. Though I have only just arrived at Goldsmiths, it is immediately obvious that our staff and students care passionately about the future of our environment and that they are determined to help deliver the step change we need to cut our carbon footprint drastically and as quickly as possible.

“Declaring a climate emergency cannot be empty words. I truly believe we face a defining moment in global history and Goldsmiths now stands shoulder to shoulder with other organisations willing to call the alarm and take urgent action to cut carbon use.”

As protests are likely to continue across the UK in the new term, more student activists for climate change will be hoping more universities will follow Goldsmiths example.