Image may contain: Electronics, Camera, Face, Human, Person

PSA: Chewing peppercorns can save you if you’re too stoned

They help reduce feelings of paranoia and anxiety

You would never, ever have thought that peppercorns could help you when you are high, but in a weird shock, popping a few in your mouth could stop you from pranging out.

Drugs charity The Loop shared this infographic earlier, telling people what to do if their friend gets too high. From speaking with a comforting voice and watching shit tv, the advice seems incredibly normal and reasonable.

Except the top right, which seems like a joke: "Have them chew peppercorns".

A few tips to help a friend at festival time ???

Posted by The Loop on Tuesday, June 4, 2019

As luck would have it, this isn't new. Stoners on Reddit have talked about using peppercorns to help subside these feelings for years and even Neil Young, the oldie singer, has mentioned the power of the peppercorn.

To be honest, it seems like a bit of an old wives' tale which wouldn't really help anyone feeling the gloomy effects of cannabis, but turns out it's fully legit.

A study has shown that the chemicals found in peppercorns can reduce the effects of feeling anxious or paranoid whilst high off cannabis.

A scientific review in the British Journal of Pharmacology revealed that cannabis and pepper have very similar chemical traits.

Combining the two chemicals from weed and pepper, a calming and therapeutic effect is created in the brain.

Pepper's chemicals create a "phytocannabinoid-terpenoid effect," which are known to help reduce the symptoms of pain, depression, addiction.

By combining the terpenoids chemical in pepper with the tetrahydrocannabinol in cannabis a chemical reaction happens creating cannabinoid (the same chemical in CBD oil) receptors in the brain.

So next time you smoke a little too much and get a little too paranoid try and remember peppercorn can help.