Image may contain: Female, Crowd, Costume, Jacket, Coat, Smile, Face, Apparel, Clothing, Human, Person

Oh my Christ! Gavin & Stacey is returning for a one-off Christmas special

It’s occurring!!!!

Forget that Love Island is starting next week – Gavin & Stacey is returning to our screens for Christmas 2019! Nine years after the show ended a one-time special episode will be released this December.

James Corden (Smithy) and Ruth Jones (Nessa), the creators of the show, made a statement this morning announcing the return of the sitcom. The idea of creating a one-off special episode was created when Corden and Jones began talking about what their characters would be doing now.

In the statement Corden and Jones stated: “Over the last 10 years we’ve talked a lot about Gavin and Stacey – where they might be today and what their lives might look like. And so in secret we took the plunge and wrote this one hour special.

"We’ve loved revisiting Barry and Essex again and bringing the characters back together has been a joy. We’re so excited to get the chance to work with our fabulous cast and crew once more and to give fans of the show a festive treat this Christmas. Thank you BBC for helping to make this happen.”

Corden went on to post a photo of the script for the 'Christmas Special 2019' on his Instagram, stating again how he and Jones had been "keeping this secret for a while" and are excited to finally "share it" with the public.

Image may contain: Text, Human, Person

James Corden's Insta post this morning

Almost all of the BAFTA-winning sitcoms characters will be returning including Matthew Horne (Gavin), Joanna Page (Stacey), Rob Brydon (Bryn), Larry Lamb (Mick) and Alison Steadman (Pam).

The response across social media this morning has been crazy with many memes of Pam and Bryn surfacing on Twitter revealing fans excitement:

The show's New Year's finale reached 10.2 million viewers – maybe the Christmas show will be even higher.

It will be well lush.