This new ‘horrifying’ Chernobyl series is being called a ‘masterpiece’

It’s overtaken David Attenborough’s Planet Earth as the highest rated TV show in history

| UPDATED Hide Images

The latest TV show that’s got everyone talking is “Chernobyl”. It’s a five-part mini series and thriller about the horrific real life catastrophe that was the Chernobyl disaster.

The series follows the story of the 1986 explosion of Chernobyl’s reactor four in the V.I Lenin Nuclear Power Plant in Pripyat, Ukraine. The nuclear power plant’s reactor core exploded, causing one of the most disastrous man made tragedies of all time. The disaster occurred during a safety test that went wrong.

From the Chernobyl series

The explosion took place in the early hours of April 26th, but The Soviet government did not make an official announcement confirming an explosion had occurred until the evening of April 28th.

After the event, the direct death toll (from the explosion itself) was estimated at around 50. Since then this figure has been revised, and it is thought thousands died from illnesses and injuries related to the nuclear fallout. The UN predicted there could be up to 9,000 Chernobyl-related deaths from cancer and Greenpeace claimed the death toll could be as high as 200,000.

The reason everyone’s talking about the accident again is because the new show has just became the most highly rated piece of television EVER on IMDb. With a 9.5 out of 10 star rating, it’s overtaken our beloved David Attenborough’s Planet Earth, and Game of Thrones after just three episodes. The series has managed to leap over BBC’s Planet Earth II, Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

From the Chernobyl series

The drama is all about the events of the accident, recreating chilling footage of the effects the nuclear radiation had on people in the area. If the online reactions to the series are anything to go by, it’s a harrowing watch. Reviews are calling it “horrifying”, a “masterpiece” and “captivating”.

Here’s how people are reacting to the series:

*Warning: Graphic footage and pictures from the show*

I think it’s safe to say the show doesn’t hold back, it’s graphic and realistic.

How to watch the Chernobyl series

Chernobyl is on NowTV and Sky Atlantic in the UK, and HBO in the US.

Watch the trailer for the Chernobyl series here: