Image may contain: Dating, Speech, Audience, Crowd, Person, Human
Breaking News

Breaking: Zamzam Ibrahim elected as the new NUS President

She’s promised a National Student Strike

Zamzam Ibrahim has been elected as the new president of the NUS.

Currently the NUS’ VP for Society and Citizenship. she was voted in to lead the ailing NUS at their conference in Glasgow on a platform of calling a National Student Strike.

Taking over from Shakira Martin, Zamzam becomes the NUS’ third female BAME president in a row.

During her time, Martin was hailed for her commitment to fighting antisemitism, but also called the role of President an “awful job” and told critics to “FUCK OFF”.

It’s been a tough year for NUS, as they look to confirm desperately needed turnaround measures to save the organisation from impending financial doom.

At the end of March, the NUS were caught cheating in a uni’s vote to leave by emailing over 1,000 students pro-NUS propaganda, in a bid to stop them from losing around £15k in affiliation fees.

Image may contain: Projection Screen, Person, Human, Cinema, Monitor, Screen, Display, Electronics, Stage, Theater, Room, Indoors, Interior Design

Cuts have been made to liberation officers, and the entire scope of the organisation has been laid back as austerity sweeps the union.

Ibrahim beat out competition from Nelly Kibirige, President of London South Bank’s SU. Kibirige campaigned on a platform of “doing things differently”, and, like Martin, is a mother.

Greenwich SU President Meike Imberg was also beaten, who promised a “thriving, not just surviving NUS”.

She also beat Bilal Bin Saqib, the Postgrad Officer at LSE. In his manifesto, he said: “People call me an influencer, a motivational speaker, an entrepreneur, a marketer, a businessman but I like to call myself a student of rejection, failure and discouragement.” Bilal ran against cuts and for “solidarity, innovation, and togetherness”

Also saw off the challenge of Justine Canady, former Women’s Officer at UCL and self-described “revolutionary socialist”. She fought for better mental health services at UCL, and campaigned for a “fighting, democratic NUS”

So far, this year’s conference has run smoother than last year’s, where 150 protestors stormed the stage in anger at something or other. In fact, they’ve passed motions condemning antisemitism.