Guys, Friends will leave Netflix at some point – here’s what we know

It’s not looking good

Hide Images

In the past month, there has been a mass debate as to whether or not Friends will be taken off Netflix. An expiration date was spotted for the sitcom on the site, and fans went into a crazed panic thinking that come last month, Friends was going to be taken down. But please, be assured that at this moment in time – Netflix has absolutely no plans to take the show off. But it looks like it will be gone in the future. So, when is Friends leaving Netflix?

When is Friends leaving Netflix?

The expiry date was quickly removed, and Netflix's chief content officer, Ted Sarandos, said any word of the comedy being taken down was just rumour.

However, without being cynical, all good things do come to an end. Shows like Friends, that aren't Netflix original, ALWAYS get taken down at some point. All evidence points towards its days being numbered.

The comedy was acquired by Netflix in 2015 – and costed $118 million, but it is rumoured to be moving to a new unnamed WarnerMedia streaming platform.

Media Analyst, Rich Greenfield, told Deadline: "Content like Friends is likely to disappear from Netflix in 2019 as WarnerMedia launches its own SVOD service."

The Hollywood Reporter say Friends leaving Netflix is happening, and this will be in 2020. "It's widely expected that the ensemble comedy will move to WarnerMedia's streaming platform in 2020 as the new service is expected to launch in the fourth quarter of 2019," The Hollywood Reporter say.

Don't panic too soon though, Netflix has renewed its deal for Friends. If the move does happen, it shouldn't be anytime soon. Hence why Netflix are trying to calm down the hysteria. The deal is non exclusive, meaning that the show could be streamed on both sites at the same time.

But, Kevin Reilly, who is the TNT and TBS president, said: "For the most part, sharing destination assets like that is not a good idea.

"Expect that the crown jewels of Warner will ultimately end up on the [new streaming] service". Which means, we can kiss goodbye to all 236 episodes featuring Chandler Bing, Rachel Green, Ross Geller, Monica Geller, Joey Tribbiani and Phoebe Buffay.

Friends is one of the most popular US comedies of all time, followed by The Big Bang Theory and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so it's no surprise streaming sights are literally fighting over having it.

Friends leaving Netflix would be a disaster, so if it does get taken down, here's some more stuff you can binge. It the past few months, Netflix has graced us with shows such as Sex Education, You, the Fyre Festival documentary, and countless true crime documentaries such as Abducted in Plain Sight and Ted Bundy Tapes. The film adaptation of The Ted Bundy Tapes with Zac Efron playing the killer is expected on Netflix soon too.

And Netflix is set to drop new seasons of You, Sex Education, The Crown and The Bodyguard, all expected within a year.