Houghton Festival 2018, everything you need to know: Tickets, dates, lineup, location and review

Houghton Festival 2017 was huge, so here is everything you need to know about this year’s offering

Hide Images

Houghton is set to be one of the highlights of this summer's festival season after successful 2017 and 2016 editions. Houghton boasts not only a 24-hour music licence but also a carefully selected lineup focused on spontaneous and long DJ sets.

The people behind the festival are the same as Gottwood, so expect the same relaxed, hippy vibes in a location that feels detached from the rest of the world.

The lineup includes Ben U.F.O, Horse Meat Disco, Joy Orbison, Mr. Scruff, Objekt, Seth Troxler and many more.

But what about the nitty gritty info? How to still get tickets, where is it happening, how to get there and the full lineup? Here is everything you need to know in The Tab's guide to Houghton Festival 2018.

Houghton Festival tickets

Tickets for Houghton Festival 2018 are now sold out, and no further tickets are set to be released.

Resales are available exclusively through Resident Advisor for face value. Keep checking the Resident Advisor ticket page as tickets that are resold by previous purchasers will immediately become available on the site.

Houghton have also said they do not support tickets purchased from third party reseller platforms, such as ViaGoGo, Seatwave and Ticket Swap, and therefore all ticket holders will require the original buyer and their ID to be present at the gate when they arrive. Houghton have said: "The validity of tickets purchased from unapproved third party sites cannot be guaranteed, and the purchase is entirely at your own risk."

Houghton festival dates

The festival will take place from Thursday 9th August until Sunday 12th August, and will coincide with BoomTown 2018 which is happening the same weekend in Winchester.

Houghton Festival lineup

Houghton is produced by the same people behind Gottwood, and this year's lineup has been curated by Craig Richards.

Ricardo Villalobos, Andrew Weatherall, Seth Troxler, Nicolas Lutz, Ben UFO, Magda, Sonja Moonear, Optimo, Margaret Dygas and Vladimir Ivkovic return to the lineup after playing at Houghton 2017.

For the likes of Zip, Objekt, Prosumer, Call Super, Jane Fitz and Shanti Celeste it will be their first time at Houghton.

Houghton Festival location

Taking place in King's Lynn in Norfolk, the full address of the festival site is: Houghton Hall, King's Lynn, Norfolk, PE31 6UE.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXyRUGYFonG

Travelling to Houghton by car

For those travelling by car, the festival is located half a mile off the A148 King's Lynn to Fakenham road. Signs will indicate the turning off you need to take from the A148.

The road then takes you through New Houghton, the main gates to the Hall are straight ahead.

Houghton Festival have said: "Please respect the local villages when travelling to and from the event – no littering, loud music or careless driving."

Travelling to Houghton by coach

Coach travel is available from many major UK cities, and will be provide by Tuned In Travel, tickets can be pre-booked here.

Travelling to Houghton by train

The nearest train station is King's Lynn, which is a 90-minute journey from King's Cross, London. From the station to the festival site, there will be shuttle buses (you can pre-book tickets for the shuttle bus here) and you'll be able to queue for a taxi outside the station.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX0sIKvhlLe

What are the rules on re-entry into Houghton?

Re-entry is allowed if you decide to leave at any time, however you will be searched on re-entry and your personal alcohol allowance is only allowed on your first entry.

What are the rules on bringing your own alcohol?

On their website, Houghton say a limited quantity of alcohol you've brought with you is permitted into the campsite, but will not be permitted in the main site.

On first entry to the site only, each person is allowed to bring up to eight beers/ciders or one bottle of wine decanted into a pastic container – no glass is allowed on site. They say all excess or non-compliant alcohol will be confiscated at the ticket gate.

What items are banned from Houghton?

Houghton state the following items are not permitted onsite (here we go): Glass, illegal substances, nitrous oxide and/or whippers, portable laser equipment and pens, unauthorised professional film or video equipment, audio recorders, megaphones, air horns, spray cans, marker and paint pens, fireworks, flares, Chinese or sky lanterns, animals, sound systems (portable or otherwise) unofficial hi-vis jackets, excessive amounts of food and cigarettes may be refused entry, any item which may reasonably be considered for use as a weapon, unauthorised items for trading, including any goods using unauthorised event logos. Got it?

Will I be searched for drugs at Houghton?

Houghton say all individuals, including staff, crew and artists will be searched on entry and refusing to be searched will result in ejection from the site. All individuals found in possession of illegal substances will be ejected from the festival and handed over to the police.

Two people who attended Houghton 2017 have different views on how heavy the search was, with one saying they did a heavy drug search on her, but another says it wasn't that bad and security were more looking for glass bottles.

Houghton Festival 2017 review

Resident Advisor said of the Houghton 2017: "Overall, Houghton had the kind of hedonistic vibe you'd probably associate with the best raves more than festivals. Drinks weren't cheap – £6 for a beer – but the stages were so elaborate and ambitious that at least you felt the money was being well spent.

"The logistics, certainly for a first edition, were spot on, while the weather, which was almost perfect, also played a massive role. (Heavy rain might've made this review much less glowing.) There are plenty of festivals in beautiful locations with good music and impressive production, but very few combine that with a certain hard-to-define magic. It's this secret ingredient that's already earned Houghton such a special place in people's hearts."

You can read the full review of Houghton 2017 here.

What's the food at Houghton like?

Houghton say they have a wide variety of food from across the country, as well as locally sourced specialties. There are numerous fod outlets situated around the site and people are allowed to bring their own food onto the site. However, personal fires, stoves and cooking devices will not be allowed onto the site.

Lauren, who went to Houghton 2017, said they cater to a posh audience: "There was a crab shack, it was all really bouji, lots of vegan food, I ate a lot of lobster rolls.

Houghton Festival camping

Alongside bringing and pitching your own tent, there's a range of accommodation available at Houghton, from bringing your own tent to more luxury options.

Houghton tipis – Woodville

These luxury tents are located within the exclusive Boutique Camping area, equipped with access to dedicated showers and toilets.

Classic and deluxe options are available, with Bell tents (sleeps 2-5), Lotus Belle (sleeps 4-6), and Emperor (sleeps 4-8).

All tents come with memory foam mattresses, duvets, pillows, matt flooring, cotton rug, LED rope light, mirror, table, lamp, literally everything you could ever need to spend the weekend in comfort.

Prices range from £500-£1250 – but come on, you get to sleep in a proper bed with a duvet. You can get more info and book by clicking this link here.

Tangerine Fields – pitch your own tent

An affordable option, available for up to eight people

Green Yurts

Also located within the peaceful Boutique Camping area and boasting hot showers. A range of sizes and features are available, including a lockable door, carpeted floor, sheeted airbeds and electricity. The Yurts sleep between 2-6 people, you can get more information by clicking here.

Vintents – Vintage canvas tents

Spacious, stylish and cosy, they are 50 per cent cotton-canopied sleeping area and 50 per cent living area big enough to stand fully upright.

These tents boast gas hob and tea-making facilities, running wataer, power sockets, a lockable door and a fridge. You can find out more information here.

Houghton tipis and yurts – Hearthworks

Hearthworks have a variety of tipis, with sizes to suit all groups.

The tipis come equipped with rain hats, waterproof groundsheets and carpet flooring.

Furnishing packages include rugs, cushions, sheepskins, chairs, table and lanters, as well as mattresses and bedding. You can book them now by clicking here.

Airstream caravan trailers

Perfect for couples, families and groups of friends. Comfy beds, complete kitchen facilitis, toilet and shower, air con, central heating, towels and linen, fridge, and a sound system with USB connection. Find out more here.

Off site accommodation

Houghton recommend a number of local accommodation options on their website and can be found here.

Airbnb

Properties are available to rent through Airbnb, and you can narrow your search using the postcode PE31 6UE.

When does each day's music start and finish?

Houghton have a 24-hour music licence meaning the fun literally never stops.