Applications for The Tab’s Summer Internship programme are now open

You definitely won’t be making cups of tea

*These applications are now closed*

Applications for The Tab's Summer Internship programme are now open, and we want the cream of The Tab crop to join us in our head office.

This year we are offering three different summer internships: Editorial, News, and Social Media & Video.

Summer internships are given to our best rising stars and those who have been committed and regularly written for The Tab.

You won't be twiddling your thumbs or making cups of tea – instead it'll be hands-on as you become a fully fledged member of the editorial team during your time here. It's great experience to put on your CV and will teach you loads of skills if you want a job in the media.

Securing a placement at The Tab is not only beneficial for when you're at uni, but potentially afterwards also. Everyone on the Editorial desk past and present in Tab HQ completed work experience during their time at university. Here's a vid Annabel and Jonny from HQ made two years ago when they were interning at The Tab:

The Summer Internship programme will run from Monday 21st May – 28th September. These are the internships available this year:

Editorial Internship (2 weeks)

Editorial interns will be getting stuck in with the editorial team. Interns will be writing news and features for the national site, as well as for local.

The ideal candidate is someone who:

– Can think of original ideas and ideas based on the news that day

– Can work independently

– Is not afraid to go outside and get a story, or pick up the phone

Image may contain: Book, Room, Indoors, Classroom, Worker, Hairdresser, Person, People, Human

News Internship (4 weeks)

News interns will be working closely with the editorial team taking on big projects which can take up to a week to put together and publish.

Types of stories you’ll be working on are surveys, FOIs, stats bangers, as well as investigative pieces about topics students care about.

The ideal candidate is someone who:

– Can come up with project ideas that students care about, e.g. mental health and consent (examples from our News interns last year)

– Can work independently, and pick up new skills quick, e.g. Infogram

– Is not afraid to pick up the phone

Four years until Tokyo

We spent a day trying to eat like an Olympic swimmer

Posted by The Tab on Monday, August 15, 2016

Social Media & Video Internship (4 weeks)

Social Media interns will be working with our Audience Development Editor and Head of Video to create engaging content on our Facebook pages and Instagram. You will be taught basic video editing skills, and help make original content through videos and memes.

The ideal candidate is someone who:

– Loves memes

– Can think of original video ideas, like vox pops, text videos and supercuts which The Tab audience will enjoy

– Have an interest in video and video editing (no previous video skills are required)

– Confident at presenting/being in front of the camera

How to apply

If you are interested in applying for an internship at The Tab, please email [email protected] with answers to the following:

– 200 words on why you would be good for the Editorial, News or Social Media & Video internship

– Three article/project/video ideas that you would want to produce

– Three examples of Tab articles/videos you are most proud of

Please specify which internship programme you are applying for in the subject line, and dates available.

We will take into consideration everyone who sends in an application, but unfortunately due to demand, we can’t take on everyone. Priority will be given to those who aren't graduating this year, and haven't done work experience with us before. There will be other opportunities throughout summer which won't require coming to London for 2-4 weeks, which we will be announcing shortly.