People who see the Cancer Research obesity ad as fat-shaming are deluded

Get a grip

Obesity is the second biggest preventable cause of cancer after smoking. This is a fact and it has been plastered in Cancer Research ads all over the UK. But to some, like comedian Sofie Hagen, apparently this is fat-shaming.

Her painfully aggressive response to the advert starts with her calling it a "piece of shit" and ends with her asking, "Is there something I can sign? How the fucking fuck is this okay?"

She went on to brand Cancer Research, a pioneering charity which funds scientists to research cancer – you know – the disease which will affect one in two British people in their lifetimes, as "filthy cunts" who are "making the world shitter."

Image may contain: Person, People, Human

Sofie Hagen belongs to a group of people on a crusade to call anyone out who disapproves of obesity or tries to educate people about it in any way. They scathingly attack those who might have an actual point and shut the conversation down by calling everything "fat-shaming."

Last year, the same happened when an advert featuring Tess Holliday, a size 26 Australian model, was removed from Facebook for violating its Health and Fitness policy. The policy states: “Ads may not depict a state of health or body weight as being perfect or extremely undesirable", so pictures promoting a lifestyle that can cause damage to your health are removed. But obviously, a vocal few decided to take it upon themselves to call the whole thing a "body-shaming" scandal, when they wouldn't have done the same if the advert featured an extremely thin model.

To those who agree with her and want to start up a petition against this ad – why do you think your hurt feelings are more important than saving people's lives? People are dying from cancer — surely any educational warning which prevents the cause of it is welcome?

Notice how Cancer Research didn't use the word "fat" or "overweight" – it's because obesity is an actual health condition responsible for more than 30,000 deaths each year in the UK. And in the future, it is set to overtake smoking as the biggest preventable cause of cancer. Cancer aside, with obesity you're more than 2.5 times more likely to develop high blood pressure this can lead to heart disease and you've five times more likely to develop Type 2 diabetes.

But wait for this, the annual spend on the treatment of obesity and diabetes is greater than the amount spent on the police, the fire service and the judicial system combined. Combined.

Obviously any attempt to prevent all of the above must be fat-shaming because everyone (including Cancer Research) is inherently evil and is out to get those on the way to an early grave.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not placing any blame on those who are obese. The argument about the government's failings in educating consumers about obesity, especially those who are under-privileged, should be saved for another day.

No, I'm looking at the people who think we should never talk about obesity again because it might upset them. What you're doing is wrong, ignorant and dangerous. How can you wake up one morning and decide to openly attack a cancer charity, which by the way, has done a lot more good for the people of this country than your whining behind a computer screen?

Just how you'd want people to be educated about the dangers of smoking, you'd want people to know the same for obesity. It's. The. Same. Thing. And if Cancer Research wants to take it in their own hands, then let's salute them for it.