This guy did his PhD in threesomes and here’s what he wants you to know

Paging Dr. Threesome

After having a memorable encounter with his girlfriend at the time and another woman, Ryan Scoats did what any self-respecting curious academic would do – study for a PhD in threesomes.

Now a researcher at Birmingham City University, Scoats' studies have included penning a research paper called "I don't mind watching him cum".

This is the public-spirited individual who dedicated a year to asking students about their definitely real threesomes

Here's what he wants you to know.

Scoats ended up focusing mainly on MMF threesomes – encounters involving two men and one woman.

He claims, from his sample size of 30 students, that a third of male students have had threesomes by their second year of uni. Or, perhaps, he's confirmed that if you ask a male fresher whether they've had a threesome, they just can't resist bigging themselves up.

Attitudes towards how acceptable being in a threesome is for two guys have been getting looser, as MMF threesomes have become more common and less stigmatised, according to Scoats.

Speaking to Broadly, Scoats said: "In the past it would have been more stigmatized for men to have MMF threesomes." Men he interviewed "did seem comfortable telling at least their friends that they'd had an MMF threesome.

"I think because of the reduction of homophobia in general within society, this allows men to have these kinds of threesomes with no fear about what others are going to think of them for it."

People are also more likely to have threesomes with their friends, says Scoats. "If it's not a good friend, it reduces the chances of that happening," he told Broadly.

Part of the reason for this is apparently that guys use threesomes to bond, rather than as a sexual encounter with each other. It's more about bromance than touching each other. "You get to 'high five' your mate over her back and that's about it really," says Brent, one of Scoats' interviewees.