It’s about bloody time: The first ever advert showing period blood has arrived

Turns out women don’t bleed blue liquid

The first ever sanitary product TV advert showing period blood, has been made by Bodyform.

The video begins with a red, blood-like liquid being poured on a sanitary towel, rather than the “traditional” blue liquid gel often used in adverts.

The company are tackling the period blood taboo, by not showing it once, but twice in their latest ad.

The blood features again when it drips down a woman’s leg in the shower.

Bodyform said on Twitter: “Contrary to popular belief, women don’t bleed blue liquid, they bleed blood. Periods are normal. Showing them should be too. #bloodnormal”

And women are obviously thrilled about it:

However, not everyone wants to get on board and some think it’s disgusting:

And others went as far to comparing period blood to poo:

So obviously, many still don’t understand the importance of this ground-breaking advert. Not only is it educational, it shows an accurate portrayal of what a period is actually like, rather than making it seem that women are aliens, bleeding blue gel on a monthly basis.

Still, there is progress to be made as publications like Metro, have praised the advert in an article, but weren’t fully prepared to use an actual image from the video.

Instead they used a picture of a jam doughnut, which apparently represent a bleeding vagina. Because women love it when their vaginas get compared to food!

Traci Baxter, the marketing manager a Bodyform told Cosmopolitan: “We know that the ‘period taboo’ is damaging. It means people are more likely to struggle with the effects of period poverty, whilst others struggle with their mental health and wellbeing.

“As a leader in feminine hygiene, we want to change this by challenging the taboo and ultimately removing the stigma, making it even easier for anyone to talk about periods, now and in the future.”