A man has been arrested after a woman was murdered at Bestival

Her body was found in a wooded area

A 25-year-old woman was found dead at Bestival this weekend and a man has been arrested on suspicion of her murder.

The police were called at 1am on Monday to report the woman missing and after a search of the site her body was found near a wooded area.

The 28-year-old man from London is now being questioned by police.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said: “Very sadly, following a search of the area the body of the woman was located in a wooded area on the edge of the festival site.

“An investigation is underway to establish the circumstances surrounding her death and a cordon is in place on site while forensic examinations are being carried out.”

The area has been cordoned off while forensic examinations take place and a post-mortem examination will take place to determine the cause of her death.

DCI Sarah Derbyshire said: “Following the discovery of the woman’s body we have now launched an investigation into her death.

“We have specially trained officers supporting her family at this very difficult time. Inquiries are now under way to establish how she died. A postmortem examination will be carried out in due course and this should give us more of an indication as to the cause of her death.

“We are working closely with the festival organisers and I would appeal to anyone with any information about the incident to contact Dorset police.”

Bestival organisers posted this statement on their Facebook page:

"Following today's announcement, the team at Bestival are devastated to hear about this tragic news. We continue to support the police in their ongoing investigation and our thoughts and prayers are with all the woman's family and friends."

A dorset police spokesperson said that the woman's family have been informed.