This is how young people will be voting in the snap election

Half of you are voting Labour

Hide Images

On 18th April 2017, Theresa May called for a snap election to take place on 8th June.

In light of this, The Tab created a snap election poll to get an idea of how young people will be voting. Almost 10,000 of you responded to the survey, which provides a snap-shot of how the results on June 8th might look.

It may come as no surprise that our results found nearly half of young people surveyed will be voting Labour, taking 49 per cent of the vote.

Here’s a round-up of the results.

Who are you planning to vote for?

Labour took the biggest share of the vote with 49 per cent, followed by Conservatives with 27 per cent and Liberal Democrats with 14 per cent.

[infogram id=”snap_election-200″ prefix=”aft” format=”interactive” title=”snap election”]

This is a noticeably different picture to how those surveyed voted in 2015, indicating a significant number of swing voters.  In 2015, Labour and Conservative were equally popular, taking 36 and 35 per cent of the vote respectively. Since then, there has been large rise in Labour voters and a fall in Conservative voters, which is likely to do with Theresa May’s lack of popularity among 18-24 year olds.

[infogram id=”snap_election_2-6″ prefix=”Hb4″ format=”interactive” title=”snap election 2″]

The 2015 election almost wiped out the Liberal Democrats following their failure to keep their promise to block the increase in tuition fees, with only nine per cent of survey respondents voting for the party.

Interestingly, our survey shows a third of people who voted Liberal Democrat in 2015 are now planning to vote Labour.

Why are you voting this way?

While half of respondents said they are voting based on policies, a discouraging 22 per cent cited lack of a better option. Meanwhile 15 per cent are voting due to party allegiance and seven per cent because of the party leaders.

[infogram id=”snap_election_4-9″ prefix=”jms” format=”interactive” title=”snap election 4″]

Only two per cent admitted they’ll vote according to their parents’ voting choices.

Which policy areas matter to you most?

Respondents were asked to choose the three policy areas that matter to them most.

The three policies respondents could choose from included welfare, education and immigration, for example.

[infogram id=”snap_election_3-8″ prefix=”PLl” format=”interactive” title=”snap election 3″]

Surprisingly, health/NHS came out on top, having been chosen by 23 per cent of voters, ahead of education and tuition fees which 16 per cent of respondents had in their top three.

Policies linked to the economy and Europe also mattered, with 15 and 11 per cent respectively picking these issues.

Immigration was only chosen by four per cent, suggesting this is not considered a major issue by young voters.