The Labour Party will scrap tuition fees

This is not a drill

The Labour Party, if elected, say they will scrap UK tuition fees.

The shock promise, which was made by Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell at a rally in Mansfield, has come to light in footage unearthed by the Independent.

During the speech two weeks ago, McDonnell said education is "not a commodity to be bought or sold."

The announcement has recently been followed with a promise to end tuition fees for current students, and students starting in September.

Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell announced the radical new plans

He continued: "We want to introduce – just as the Atlee government with Nye Bevan introduced the National Health Service – we want to introduce a national education service.

“Free at the point of need throughout life. And that means ending the cuts in the schools at primary and secondary level. It means free childcare. It means free school training when you need it throughout life.

“And yes it means scrapping tuition fees once and for all so we don’t burden our kids with debt for the future.”

Among students in the UK, Labour currently has 55 per cent support. Under the Conservatives, some university fees have risen to as much as £9,250.

In fact, the Liberal Democrats' complicity in the much-maligned tuition fee rises led to an unprecedented drop in support for the party.

McDonnell said in the same speech that he wanted to make Britain “radically more equal”, finishing: “What do you call that? I call it socialism.”