Teen Vogue just compared Cara Delevingne’s new shaved head hairstyle to Britney’s 2007 breakdown

tips

babe  • 

Mocking someone’s mental health isn’t cool guys

The famously woke Teen Vogue aren’t having a great day today. The magazine, who have been applauded in the past for covering some important feminist issues and empowering and educating their young readership, just majorly fucked up on twitter.

In a tweet which has since been deleted Teen Vogue chose to promote an article about a change of supermodel Cara Delevingne’s hairstyle with the caption “It’s giving me Britney circa 2007”.

According to the article, Delevingne has reportedly been changing her hairstyle dramatically in the run up to an acting role, for which she’ll have to have a shaved head to portray a girl suffering from cancer. The article followed Delevingne’s hair journey, from pink and silver hair to a pixie cut, and eventually completely bald.

Delevingne posted a video of her hair falling to the floor on instagram stories, with photos appearing of the model completely bald shortly after, a huge difference to the pictures of a distressed Britney in 2007 who was captured mid-breakdown shaving her own head by paparazzi in LA.

Twitter was not impressed with the comparison, with users replying that they were disappointed in Teen Vogue’s glamorisation of Britney’s issues and insensitive approach to mental health.

It’s the trivialising of events such as these by major influencers like Teen Vogue that create an environment in which it’s OK to think of mental health as some kind of joke. While a mentally ill person’s behaviour might seem weird or unusual to you, it doesn’t make it funny, and when someone recovers, their lowest point shouldn’t continue to be wheeled out as a joke.

People who are experiencing something that they’re struggling with may well express their feelings in a way that you wouldn’t expect. Teen Vogue capitalising on this to promote an article about a supermodel’s change of hairstyle works to alienate someone who might be experiencing similar feelings, making them feel like they’re weird, or might not be taken seriously.

Teen Vogue’s social media dire for Terron Moore tweeted “this tweet’s been deleted.  thanks for reaching out and holding us accountable”, although no official apology has been released yet.

Not cool, Teen Vogue.

@lottietipbishop