This company will offer you a free holiday, but only if you send them a picture of your bum, which isn’t creepy at all

tips

babe  • 

Cool. Neat

There are a lot of things I’d do for a holiday. A little break. When it gets grey and mid-week and everyone is tired and your bank balance looks less than healthy, of course you’d try any scam, competition or crowdfunder to get you away for a little while. But there are limits.

I dunno if my limit is sending a picture of my ass to win a free trip to Sri Lanka, but it’s definitely creepy enough to make me think twice. In late March magazine Surf Europe uploaded a video to their Facebook page announcing a new competition. “Good Story, your favourite Russian surf camp in Sri Lanka, is running a comp to win a free trip there, by uploading your backside,” they wrote. “Good luck.”

Sounds straightforward enough, albeit a bit of a damp squib attempt at a pun on the term “beach bum,” but the publicity stunt, if the comments under the video are anything to go by, has backfired just a little. It didn’t take long for people to start noticing that the video was basically a compilation of women’s asses from a man-on-the-escalator-who-tapes-you-surreptitiously-while-wanking sort of angle, and calling it out on being “sexist crap.”

“I guess we still have a long way to go as human beings,” one man wrote, while another person commented: “To encourage women to participate in surfing you should show the thrill of it rather than exploiting women’s bodies. You’ve lost me.”

Some people complained about how the post had chosen to represent female surfers as sex objects, rather than athletes. One person wrote: “The fuck – all the bums in the video are slender females – nothing wrong with that but please have a mix of bums! We come in all shapes, sizes, and did you know men even have bums too?”

On the other hand though, I’ve scrolled through their page and it doesn’t look like they’ve announced the winner yet. Either the video has backfired hugely, or you could abandon your morals and still apply. No judgement here.

@rosielanners