A new dating app claims it will stop people sending you unsolicited dick pics so maybe there’s some good left in this world

Ah, modern romance

It's a tale as old as time. You match on a dating app, you exchange some banter, you receive an unsolicited dick pic two minutes into the conversation, so you inevitably fall in love. Ah, modern romance.

A new dating app though, is changing that tried and tested narrative. British app Trueview claims to have invented a filter which stops users at least some unsightly nudes, because it stops users from uploading 'inappropriate' pics to their profile.

Every photo that is uploaded onto the website is pushed through a filter that detects face and nudity. It then scores the picture and will reject if it detects a certain level of nudity.  

Co-founder Matt Verity says: “I think the majority of online daters want penis shots and gratuitous body flashing shots to be a thing of the past. We have always promoted an honest dating space for people who are looking to form relationships rather than find casual hook-ups.

"We don’t want to take the fun out of dating, just bring some decorum back. Once users are chatting through private messages, it is up to them what they send, of course.”

So technically, you could still get a dick pic, it just won't be on their profile. Which… doesn't really solve the problem.

The Trueview app also hopes to combat online dating fraud (basically catfishing) or "embellishing" your relationship status, age or career. The creators of the app found that one in three Brits have been on a date with someone who was posing as single but were not. Users on the app will earn "trust points" as they share their info, and the more "trust points" you gain, for instance by linking your social media profiles to prove you are who you say you are, the higher you're ranked to potential matches.

There are over seven million UK users registered on dating sites and crimes associated with online dating have risen by 450 per cent in the past five years.