Jorja Smith on how women are encouraged to be ‘beautiful little fools’

‘I feel as young girls grow up, they’re tainted by what the media says is “beautiful”‘

Over the last few months, 19-year-old Jorja Smith has been making waves. She has been tipped as one of BBC Sound’s ‘ones to watch’ this year and appeared on stage with Drake during his recent tour.

On International Women’s day she released “Beautiful Little Fools”. The track is inspired by The Great Gatsby, when Daisy says she hopes her daughter will: “be a fool – that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”

On this, she says: “I feel as young girls grow up, they’re slightly tainted by what the media says is ‘beautiful’ and I feel like my song can be a little help to them. We are all beautiful in our own individual and special ways.”

A prominent line is ‘where are these so called independent women?’ – Jorja says she: “laments the restrictions that society and established social constructs place upon women”.

At the #balmainfw17 women's show ? Thank u for having me @olivier_rousteing

A post shared by jmoney (@jorjasmith_) on Mar 3, 2017 at 6:52am PST

She was born in 1997 and is from Walsall, an industrial town in the West Midlands of England – just outside of Birmingham.

She sent a playlist including the women who inspire her to babe:

Also literally just look how cool she is:

Thank u @stellamccartney for having me tonight ♥️

A post shared by jmoney (@jorjasmith_) on Mar 6, 2017 at 5:09pm PST

Bunny cocktail

A post shared by jmoney (@jorjasmith_) on Feb 18, 2017 at 2:27pm PST

#balmainarmy

A post shared by jmoney (@jorjasmith_) on Mar 2, 2017 at 4:31pm PST

You can catch her Jorja live, touring the UK during the first week of April. She’s playing shows in Birmingham, Brighton, London, Glasgow, Leeds and Manchester, however her London, Leeds and Brighton shows are already sold out.

Can't wait for this, I'll be supported by the fab @jordanmaxmusic ?✨Tickets still on sale, c u dere

A post shared by jmoney (@jorjasmith_) on Mar 6, 2017 at 3:28am PST