We asked boys to tell us the woman they respect most in the world in celebration of International Women’s Day

A lot of them said their mum which was nice

This International Women’s Day we should be ‘celebrating boys and men’, according to Sophie Trudeau.

In an Instagram post featuring her holding hands with her husband, the globally beloved Canadian Prime Minister, Sophie wrote: “Are you ready to ignite change? This week, as we mark International Women’s Day, let’s celebrate the boys and men in our lives who encourage us to be who we truly are, who treat girls & women with respect, and who aren’t afraid to speak up in front of others. Take a picture holding hands with your male ally & share it on social media using the hashtag #TomorrowInHand. Together, we can create a movement that inspires more men to join the fight to build a better tomorrow with equal rights & opportunities for everyone… because #EqualityMatters.”

Obviously in the immediate aftermath Twitter ripped her apart. So in the spirit of not being torn apart on social media and retaining the true spirit of the day babe instead asked the men in our lives which woman they respected the most in this world for International Women’s Day. And you know what, not all of them said their mum.

Bobby

My mum once told me a story, something which happened while she was working as a receptionist in the ’70s. Her boss was typical of the time, as in, a bit of a pig. She was reading a book on her lunch break one day, minding her own business, when in he walks and sees her; the silly little receptionist. “What are you reading Ann, War & Peace?” he snorts, gaining some guffaws from the other men in the room. She looks at him, deadpan, and replies: “Yes, actually.”

I’ve often pictured his dumbstruck face as she held up the cover of the Tolstoy novel she was devouring. That’s my mum, though – not only is she immensely clever, she’d never let anyone try and put her in her place. I respect her for that, and I respect her for putting up with me all these years, and I respect her for always, constantly being right, about everything, every time, no matter how much it infuriates me. I wouldn’t be the man I am today without her (and she’ll never let me forget it).

Oli

This woman taught me what it means to work hard and that the only appropriate response to someone who says you can’t do something is “fuck you”. Today I visited her newly opened café for the first time. So, mum, the world is now your lobster.

And to everyone who said she couldn’t do it, fuck you.

Matt

All of my old English teachers.

Padraig

Melania Trump. A very stoic woman who is holding her composure despite media vilification over who she’s married to, as the world seemingly crashes down around her. And Rihanna – she just doesn’t give a fuck. I love her free spirit.

Ronan

Once saw a girl take a vodka shot, throw up over the bar, and then do the vodka shot in her other hand. Other than that Marie Curie was very sound.

Benedict

Grace Hopper, one of the most influential people in the history of computers. Lot of stuff today wouldn’t exist without her invention of compilers. Also Ada Coleman, one of the earliest and best female bartenders. Lot of cocktails have her mark on them but she got demoted because Americans visiting the Savoy didn’t like being served alcohol by a woman.

Robin

Can I say my mum too? She’s legit the most badass person I know – never went to uni, motorbiked around Europe solo in her twenties, and now she’s set up her own business in her mid 50s, in an industry that she’s creating pretty much by herself, plus she supports women everywhere – gives them free career advice, plus she worked full time while raising four kids. She also takes zero shit – and dgaf about it.