Just who is Cherry Seaborn, Ed Sheeran’s hockey-playing Suffolk girlfriend whose probably backstage right now

She’s not you, that’s one thing we know for certain

Some things in life just aren’t fair: 78 million acres of the Amazon are destroyed every year, and there’s about a one in 45 million chance of you winning the lottery.

Even worse than both of those, though, is the one harrowing fact which wakes you up in a cold sweat during your darkest nights. Ed Sheeran is not your boyfriend, nor will he ever be.

We’re very sorry, but that esteemed honour goes to Cherry Seaborn. It’s Cherry Seaborn who gets to tousle that boyish ginger hair, and Cherry Seaborn who gets to plant loving kisses upon that wide and beaming moon-like face. Cherry Seaborn has beaten you, and there’s nothing you can do about it.

Ed Sheeran Storytellers is on MTV ? #cheddy #teddysphotos #sheerio #edsheeran

A post shared by Jule (@edsfuckingnandos) on

But who is Cherry Seaborn? And, more importantly, why did he choose her over you? Here’s everything we know about the relatively normal girl who stole Ed Sheeran’s heart.

She was born in Suffolk, not in the sea

Despite her name, Seaborn didn’t sprout forth from the ocean foam like the love goddess Aphrodite. Nope, Cherry hails from Suffolk like Sheeran himself.

They first met at Thomas Mills High School in Framlingham – but it wasn’t to be, as Cherry left the country soon afterwards to start a new life at Duke University, North Carolina.

What a crew at Wet Republic today ?

A post shared by Calvin Harris (@calvinharris) on

A former school friend told Female First: “There was always something there between them. Ed had a crush on Cherry at school, but she had a boyfriend then.

“I don’t think Ed wants to date another celebrity again, having been burnt too many times and Cherry is definitely his type.”

Poor, pained Ed. If only you would allow us to wipe your tear-stained cheeks and pat your glorious orange head, rather than her.

She conquered the USA way before Ed

On Duke’s official website, she’s quoted as saying: “Ever since I was in high school I’ve always wanted to study in the United States. I looked into different schools that were good academically and also at hockey, and Duke was one that really jumped out at me.

“Duke has such a good name in England, and there were a lot of people who told me to go there.”

Bet no-one’s ever told you to go to Duke. If they had, you might have bagged yourself a celebrity boyfriend by now.

I dont get all the hate Cherry is having. I don't know her and I can't judge her based in what people say. If Ed is happy I'm happy. That's literally all I care about. {#edsheeran #cherryseaborn #cheeran #cheddy }

A post shared by Teddysphotos (Ed Sheeran) ? (@insideyournecklace) on

She loves a spot of hockey

When she moved to America, Cherry used the all-encompassing posh girl power of being bloody good at hockey to wow her Yank peers.

She’s still a keen hockey player, and Ed took time out from his busy schedule of schmoozing Stormzy and making teenagers cry to watch her play in Chelmsford a couple of weeks ago.

https://givemelove-ed.tumblr.com/post/141450772907/cherry-is-with-them

She was a bit of a wolf on Wall Street

According to The Sun, it is “rumoured” that Seaborn worked as an Advisory Consultant at Deloitte & Touche LLP in the Big Apple.

It was during her time in NYC that Cherry and Ed reconnected, and the rest is history. Cherry has since moved back to the UK, upon which Ed took a year off music and the pair moved in together.

“I’m really secure now,” he said in a Radio 2 interview. “We live together and we have cats. I think when you have cats that’s kind of it.”

Here are their cats.

Monday's be like

A post shared by Ed Sheeran (@teddysphotos) on

They’re very happy together, so get your greasy hands off

Despite being spotted in public together on many occasions, the couple were thrust into the spotlight after the Brit Awards recently, where Ed chivalrously left an afterparty in his socks so Cherry could give her weary feet a rest from her broken heels. Adorable.

What the future holds for Cherry and Ed we’re not sure, although Sheeran has very publicly stated that he’s “ready” to settle down and have kids.

Glad he got his mums looks mate @example

He told Zane Lowe he wants “tour bus babies – little fat, chubby babies that just walk around,” suggesting that Ed Sheeran has very little knowledge of human babies and how they work.

She’s even already met Taylor Swift

Ed and Cherry have kept their relationship on the DL, but his best mate Taylor Swift outed them on Instagram last July during their first anniversary because hey maybe Taylor Swift is a massive attention-seeking snake???

"Love actually is all around." Congratulations guys ❤️ @abigail_lauren @teddysphotos

A post shared by Taylor Swift (@taylorswift) on

And while “Ed-iver-Cherry” may be the worst thing to ever happen to the English language, they still appear to be very much in love.

His hit single “Shape of You” is rumoured to be about Cherry, while new song “Perfect” is dedicated to her. It includes lyrics like: “I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know, she shares my dreams, I hope that someday I’ll share her home.”

And you can’t even get a text back!

UK