Look, nobody wins in this story about a guy editing his ex-girlfriend’s apology letter and posting it on Twitter

Maybe your love life doesn’t have to be viral content, ever think about that

This is Nick Lutz. Nick went viral this week after he posted a letter from his cheating ex on Twitter, marking it for inaccuracies and grading her (she got a D-).

The original tweet has been shared over 300,000 times in three days and the comments are perfect fodder for thousands of viral news pieces and cheap web traffic on someone else’s personal life and suffering. His ‘brutal clapback’ has since appeared on the Daily Mail, UniLad, Cosmopolitan and, bizarrely, BBC World News – must have been a slow day.

Marking her 61/100 before giving it back to his ex, Nick said: “Long intro, short conclusion, short hypothesis but nothing to back it up. Details are important. If you want to be believed, back it up with proof. You claim that cheating never occurred but place blame on yourself — then what for? Need to stop contradicting your own story and pick a side. While this gesture is appreciated I would prefer details over statements. Revision for half credit will be accepted.”

Of course being cheated on comes with some serious baggage, and understandably righteous anger, so it’s understandable why Nick would want to out his ex, but that doesn’t mean that doing so (and taking the time to grade a personal letter for Twitter shares and likes) is particularly classy. Anyone who occasionally dabbles in some petty social media digs at dickheads who’ve wronged them – and as a petty person I freely admit I’m guilty of it – will tell you that after the initial HA! moment there’s no sense of closure there.

Nick has still been cheated on, and the relationship is still over. And pointing out someone’s bad handwriting, typos and ‘inconsistent argument’ probably won’t make either side feel any better about that. Revenge ruining letters from unfaithful exes is nothing new, but still, I can’t help but think everyone might have come off better here if he’d just burned it while listening to Dashboard Confessional in his bedroom like a normal person during a dramatic break-up.

I’m not saying that posting a personal letter online is as much of a dick move as cheating on someone is (but leaking personal messages, letters and screenshots is obviously a move reserved only for total and utter fucking scumbags who cannot be trusted in normal adult life), but it’s still kind