The petition to block Trump’s UK visit has reached one million signatures

It only needed 100,000 to be debated in parliament

A petition to ban Donald Trump’s State Visit to the UK has reached a million signatures.

The petition, titled “Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom,” will already have to be debated in parliament – a benchmark which requires only 100,000 people to sign.

The petition was launched by Graham Guest from Leeds from Leeds on Saturday, and only passed the 100,000 mark around 12:30 yesterday.

The description says: “Donald Trump should be allowed to enter the UK in his capacity as head of the US Government, but he should not be invited to make an official State Visit because it would cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen.”

It is one of only a few UK government petitions to ever reach a million signatures, after a call for a second EU Referendum last year.

Sadiq Khan, Jeremy Corbyn and Lib Dem leader Tim Farron have all called for Trump’s invitation to be rescinded.

However Downing Street have still not changed their position on Trump’s state visit, saying: “An invitation has been extended and accepted.”

UK