Yes, the orgasm gap still exists. One in 10 women say they experience pain during sex

A third also say they are dissatisfied with their sex life

A new study published in the British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology has found one in 10 British women find sex painful on a regular basis.

Women aged 16-24 were the second most affected group, after those in their late 50s and 60s. For most women the pain is linked to other sexual problems such as vaginismus which includes vaginal dryness, anxiety surrounding sex and a lack of enjoyment.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOBIChhAqJi/?tagged=uterusart

Unsurprisingly, a third of the women who said they experienced pain also said frequently or every time they have sex they are dissatisfied. For women with vaginismus, whether diagnosed or not, sex can be impossible, and an underlying reason for the condition can rarely be found. Leading to frustration with being unable to have penetrative sex, and left with only the difficult use of a daily dilator as a solution.

While the cause of painful sex is usually difficult to find, there are several things that can help, lube, oestrogen creams, therapy (if anxiety is the root of sexual pain), or dilation have all helped a lot of women.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOpARNyDLye/?tagged=vagina

The researchers from the study suggested that painful sex in the younger age group might be due to younger women ‘struggling’ because they’re new to sex and aren’t comfortable enough with their partners, while the older age group could be due to age related vaginal dryness.

Sex should never be painful, for anyone, but a key issue is that women often feel embarrassed to talk about their difficulty so ignore the issue, putting up with the pain and an unsatisfactory sex life.  What this study proves above all is that the issue is more common than most women think, and that it shouldn’t be something that women are worried to talk about with friends or a doctor. The brief embarrassment is worth it for a solution.