‘I’m standing here for my sisters’: The activists of London’s Women’s March explain why they’re protesting

From pussy hats to Trump piñatas

The sun was shining, and there was a buzz around London. Saturday the 21st January 2017, the first day of Trumps presidency and the realisation that this is not all a bad dream or a joke. Tens of thousands of men, woman and children joined forces in marches of unity and solidarity far exceeding the expected 20k. There were multiple generations and communities represented.

There was a sense of family and everyone was looking out for each other and up for chatting and meeting new people. Despite being called ‘The women’s march’ there was nearly just as many men as women there supporting.

Brooke and Sean with Kate, 9 & Alex, 7

“We’re American and we’re here because we couldn’t be in DC, and we wanted to show solidarity with everyone back home. We think the world is in shock that this could have happened, a man who has sexually assaulted women should not be President. And we want to march with our daughters and show them that we do not agree or support him.”

Molly, 18, Will, 29 and Alice, 18

“I think a lot of voters who voted for Obama probably voted for Trump because they both promised change. Trump won people over with all his anti-establishment rhetoric even though he’s a part of it; it just shows how disaffected the American working class are with politics.”

Ade, 22

“I grew up in Denver, Colorado, so this really affects me back home. It’s so disheartening to feel like we’ve come forwards so much only to take this massive step backward. It’s frigging boring, actually. I can’t believe I have to protest against something that my grandparents fought against. But all we can do is hope for the best and stand up for ourselves.”

Usaama, 26

“I went to Florida to campaign for Hillary and I’m here to make up for Trump winning. I wish I didn’t have to be here but until sexism and misogyny are out of our society I will be here standing with my sisters.”

Katie, 24 and Emma, 27

“We can’t believe we have made so much progress only to go back in time in terms of equality. It feels totally backwards. Especially what’s happening in terms of abortion rights and reproductive rights in general is really alarming and the fact that planned parenthood could be stopped is shocking.

“I’m not just marching for myself either, I’m marching for intersectional feminism and I want everyone to feel supported and like their voices are going to be heard ”

Chris, 41 Liam, 4

“I think it’s obvious why I’m here. I mean it’s women who have organised it but it’s for everybody, it’s for men and women.”